Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound not working on my system

Status
Not open for further replies.

thugpoet22

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
Im using windows xp sp 2. I have a 3000+ athlon xp processor with ` gig of memory. Im using the onboard sound which uses Realtek AC97 Audio drivers and the sound system that i have is Logitech X-530 140 watts of power.

My problem is that i cant get the sound system to work on my computer. Im not sure if its a hardware problem or a software problem. I've checked my hardware devices and everything seems to be in order as far as my drivers are conserned for this system. And the hardware connections are color coded, so im almost certain that i connected that right. But for some reason i can not get it to work. By the way the motherboard that im using is Soyo KT 880 Dragon v 2.0. Please lend your time and assitance. Thanks in advance. If any other information is needed please let me know.

Certain boards have jumper configurations depending on how your running the sound. Like example on mine theres 2 jumpers i must remove if im not using 5 channel sound or the sound will not work. I spent a few days once trying to figure out why my sound wasnt working and almost sent the board back untill i happened to remember the jumpers. Anyways my advice check to make sure there arent any jumpers you have to remove depending on if your using 2 or 5 channel surround. Depending on your configuration you might even have to add jumpers.

check in the BIOS and see if the onboard sound chip is off.

Recently I've been to troubleshoot an old pc(pIII 550 on a jetway 601CF mobo)mainly because it couldn't deliver any sound from applications.Since it had a second HD I decided to install windows 2000 pro(dual boot with 98)and spent an awful lot of time to find the video and audio drivers.I didn't upgrade it with any service packs though.I installed media player 9 for 98 and well,some audio files can be played,others can't.I'm not talking about mp3's.I have checked the bios,disabled digital output..nothing!I seem to have gone through all this trouble for nothing.I'm not sure what else to check.Any suggestions are wellcome.

Nice tip i didnt even think about that one kevin. Very nice.

Thanks. Hopefully the OP lets us know if any of the tips helped.

Kevin

Do you have a sound card control panel? Sometimes its just a button not cicked or a box not checked! Try them all. also it might be the slot in the back of your computer. The card may be conflicting with another devices IRQ setting.

Hey, the sounds still doesn't work, I hear the speakers making sounds when i do certain things on my computer that would normally create a noice. I've installed and reinstalled drivers im made sure that i have the most updated drivers, I've checked to make sure that everthing is plugged in, i made sure that i configured windows to the type of speakers that i have. My speaker system did not come with software, im not sure if thats normal or not. But If any body wants to know i have the Soyo kt880 dragon v 2.0 I dont know if there's a known confict with this board and my motherboard, and im not sure its its a hardware problem or a software problem. Im thinking that i might just have to buy another sound card. I really would not want to waste my money. If anybody can help pleace assit. Thanks in advace.

Ok I think I might know what the problem is since ive experienced similar. I think the jack on the speakers might be a bit to small, bring the jack out some and see if you can wiggle it. A friend had a 3 pc set that the main jack was a tad bit smaller so if you didnt have it pushed just right. So try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back