Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound, Modem not detected after new W2K Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

MohanK1

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2002
KW
Hi,
I just installed W2K. Was using win98 before this. Reformatted my HD and just installed w2k. I am using a Rockwell internal modem (dont know the model no) and a sound card (dont know which one). My computer is a standard 'Comapaq Deskpro'. So I dont know which ones they come with. After the installation, my modem does not work and there is no sound. The modem is connected to COM3. W2K does not even recognize this port now!!!
Can anybody help.
Cheers
Mohan

You need Windows 2000 drivers for the soundcard and modem. What is the exact campaq model? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James,
It is a "Compaq Deskpro EP Series, 6400/4.3 EA9". I Dont know if that helps.
Thanks for your time.
Mohan

Try this page at Compaq.

Maybe this will get the drivers you need. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James,
thanks for the page. It usre is helpful. However, it hasn't sorted my problems out. I opened up the CPU and checked the modem out. Unplugged it and connected it again.. hoping W2K would pick it up as plug and play. It didn't. However, what I did figure out is - It is connected to COM3 (this I know from the time I was running W98)... and w2k doesnt recognize the port. If I can get this port to work fine, maybe it will see the modem. The modem is a Rockwell RS56-PCI R6787-12.

Any suggestions on what the manual setting for the different COM ports should be? It wont allow me to select 'automatic settings' for com3.
Cheers
Mohan

if its an internal modem, it is not fixed on any COM port. in fact, windows just allocates it a com port when you install it.... so the chances are it isn't on com 3 yet (which won't be recogognised as a port, since it hasn't been created) which explains why you can't open it.

Try running the add new hardware wizard, and when it asks you for drivers, use the drivers from the website i noticed posted up there ^ and tell it to install. it will probably find the modem then.

When i first installed my win2k, it didn't see my modem, so i just told it to install one and it worked. (well it didnt work the first time round coz it didnt install the drivers properly or something.... i had to reinstall win2k to get it to work! argh!) and i seem to remember that when you reboot after you have installed these drivers it actually finds the thing and then installs it "properly", then it should work...

hope this helps ;)

Phr3-\-

ps. visit for some of my muzic...

Yes the drivers really help out Win2K install it perfectly. Try to get the EXACT driver for your modem and sound card.

You may try this first though and see if win2K will pic it up automatically.
(1) Right click "My Computer"
(2) Choose properties
(3) Choose the "hardware" tab
(4) Go to the middle of the dialogue box and choose "Device manager"
(5) Look for the hardwares that are having problems and choose to remove them.
(6) Reboot your Computer and see if Win2K will find and install them.
(7) If it ask for the drivers and you did NOT find them, then chose to get it from Microsoft Update selection.

Windows 2000 is really good at finding hardware and hopefully it will fix your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back