Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound Card Trouble 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDannyT

Technical User
May 27, 2004
GB
I've just installed a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 sound card. It installs fine and works perfectly untill I restart my computer when it says the card is still installed and listed under devices but applications say that there is a proplem with the sound card or there isn't one.

The card is listed in the device manager as:
Creative EMU10K Audio Processor (WDM)

The drivers are installed correctly, it doesn't clash with anything and I've disabled the onboard sound through the BIOS.

I tried to download the latest drivers from the Creative site and the Windows site but when I try to install them they say that I don't have any Sound Blaster hardware on the system!

I'm running Windows XP Professional. Anyone got any ideas?

Hello there Danny....I've recently bought and installed This "Creative sound Blaster Live! Driver II"...with the proper drivers...everything's great....until...it crashes !

And it keeps crashing, allways from non-appearant reason..
Did you resolve your problem already ?.....can you give a help...

I don't know...but I think Windows XP...wipes files off, permanent!!!

Try deleting all the sound drivers and start over. You may have to do this from "safe" mode.

Wonderlou, have you downloaded the latest drivers from the creative website or the windows update site? Didn't help me but it mite help you. When you install your sound card what is it listed as in the device manager?

micker337, this'll make you laugh:
if I uninstall the drivers for the sound card then restart the pc when it comes back on it says that its installed fine and I can use it! Then when I restart without uninstalling the drivers it says its not there when it comes back on.

Haven't tried it in safe mode yet as I'm not 100% how to do it but I'll have a bash.

Any ideas what is goin on or shall I call the priest and break out the holy water?

I'm using this card for years now, but with 2000sp3...
it works fine.
I just checked how it showed...
If you go to the hardware manager, "Sound Cards", does it show "Creative SB Live! series" ?
if you open the properties for this SndCard, then "properties" tab, then select "Creative EMU10K1 Audio Processor (WDM)", and again, click "Properties", you should have 2 choices and a box to check.
Choose "Use..." (first choice), and UNcheck the box "Do not map..."

hope this helps...

I've installed the software off the driver cd again and now have the card listed as "Creative SB Live! Series". However it still says its installed and working fine but under audio I have no sound devices.

Checked the settings under properties as you said StanPulsar and it is checked as being used and it is being mapped through (box unchecked).

Thanks for the post though, any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back