Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[sound card red hat 8.0 mp3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey62

MIS
Jul 16, 2002
US
can't get mp3's to work. Is there a site to down load a player? Is there a site similar to Kazza to download a program for linux?

player -> xmms.org (if youre interested in xwindow client)
mpg123 -> console client, look at freshmeat.net for your program needs for linux, man, there's tons of open source projects there.

Well, basically why you can't play MP3's on ur Linux comp is 'coz RH 8.0 has by default stopped supporting MPEG Compression(due to patency issues).

So, If u want to play ur MP3 in XMMS(RH 8.0), u need to download a plugin from the XMMS website.

Well, Now I've got my own problem.......... I'm not able to run my VCD's on RH 8.0........... anyone knows how to do it???

thanks people. And yea! this is cool(arjagadish) asking another question within a thread so you don't have to start a new one. I dig this because the newly created answer group answers multiple questions avoiding delay.

cool.

For file sharing, go get Lopster at lopster.sourceforge.net and pull the recent CVS source. It connects to a ton of Napster servers and allows fine grained control over bandwidth (overall and per user).

Users who dont share but just download, I cut down dramatically on bandwidth. And for a while, It worked with WinMX (they're re-fixing that).

Well, XINE Is a good VCD Player under Linux. But does anyone know how to install it. I tried installing it, and it keeps on asking one after another support files.

I lumped all these files together in a folder and did a "rpm -ivh *" in that folder and all is well.

aalib-1.4rc4-fr2.i386.rpm
alsa-lib-0.9.0-fr0rc6.1.i386.rpm
flac-1.1.0-fr1.i386.rpm
libdvdcss-1.2.4-fr1.i386.rpm
libdvdnav-0.1.4-fr0.1note2.i386.rpm
libdvdread-0.9.3-fr1.i386.rpm
libfame-0.9.0-fr1.i386.rpm
xine-0.9.18-fr1.i386.rpm
xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0_beta4.1.i386.rpm
xine-skins-1.3-fr1.noarch.rpm
xvidcore-0.9.0-fr3.i386.rpm

The executable "xine" is in /usr/bin