Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound Card Driver Update SB LIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

swashbuckler

Technical User
May 1, 2003
CA
I don't know where to download my sound card drivers or what the proper name for my soundcard is even..

Here's the DXDIAG info

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: SB Live! Wave Device
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80271102&REV_08
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: emu10k1m.sys
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.3300 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 6/12/2002 09:46:06, 284288 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Creative
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: Yes
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run
==================

ok so it says Provider: Creative

i remember before I downloaded some things that I thought were the proper drivers, it said Provider: Microsoft

plus the WHQL logo'd is N/a, doesn't seem right...
I came across this site
but it still confuses me on what to do, I goto the windows update website and it doesn't tell me I need drivers for my sound card...but
I also went to because I think thats my provider, and I went thru their driver process as follows
Sound Blaster > 16-bit > Sound Blaster Live!
File Type: Driver
Language: English

IT comes up with two things,

Sound Blaster Live! - Driver Patch
Date : 28 Feb 2003
Size : 6.17 MB

AND

ound Blaster Live! - LiveDrvUni-Pack (English)
Date : 28 Feb 2003
Size : 23.32 MB

SO i tried Sound Blaster Live! - Driver Patch install it and dxdiag says the same stuff. I've also install LiveDrvUni-Pack to in the past...and its weird how microsoft is the provider and so is creative..this just adds to my confusion...
what is the proper driver updates for my sound card and where do i get em?

Uninstall all the present software for your card. Then restart XP and it will load the drivers from the database. Then go the Creative web site and download the 16 version of your card. I am just running the XP version and I am doing fine try it and see.
TK

i uninstalled and restarted xp and it installed the drivers
now dxdiag says
SB Live! Wave Device
Name: emu10k1m.sys
Provider is Microsoft
Date: 8/17/2001
Version: 5.12.0001.3300

ok I understand the 16 bit version, but on creative's site ther is a lot of SB Live! downloads, which one should I use?
Thanks

I read their instructions, although they are very poor, I think LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe is the correct update..

The reason it says provider Microsoft when you reinstalled is because Windows XP will use the drivers buil-in to windows xp by Microsoft.

Then when you download the latest driver for your card from Creative it will be drivers provided by Creative.

I would make sure that you run the latest drivers for your card as there has been problems with the older SB live drivers. As for the LiveDrvUni-pack to be the right one I'm not sure as it depends on what card you have.. the best way would probably be to check the model number stick that should be on your card and type that in on this page

Looking on the latest date for the LiveDrvUni-pack file it seems to be 10/03/03 with a n update file from 05/01/04.

So definetely go for the livedrvuni file as it seems to be universal to the live family (I checked SB live and SB live 5.1 player card and its the same file for them)

well it's weird
in device manager...my card is called CREATIVE SB LIVE! VALUE
in DXDIAG its called SB LIVE! Audio [FFE0]

ive used the LiveDrvUni-pack to update it....

that link you gave me
says

This release is only for Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 users who have drivers with the following file version numbers:

my version is 5.12.0001.0252 (English)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back