Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound Bleed 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgonzalez77

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2008
US
Just setup a new IP Office 500 at a client's site. Everything seems to work fine, except I just got a call that some people are hearing conversations from another phone bleeding into their phone.

For example, if Person A is on the phone, and Person B gets a call, Person A can her person B's conversation. it comes in faint, and the outside caller's voice comes in really faint. Also, person A or person B can be on the phone, and they can hear the general mailbox announcement, but not the caller's message.

Weird. This is an older building, so some of the wiring is old and dirty. BUT, the 2 people who have complained (so far) are on opposite ends of the building with CAT3 cable for each individual extension.

So what is the likelihood that the noise bleed is coming from the IPO? My first thought is that maybe the bleed (or cross talk, whatever you want to call it) may actually be coming from the trunk lines. I've asked them to test the system by having internal callers call in to the general mailbox.

Any other thoughts?

try to move them to the main unit, see if it resoles it. If it does, you did not upgrade the expansion modules the right way.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

Thanks, but they're pluged directly into DigitalStation8 cards, there are no expansion modules.

Then try to connect the phone directly on the IPO itself, if the problem is not there any more recheck your wiring.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

what type of trunks? i have seen this on analog trunks a lot.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

POTS, connected to an analog 4 card. From the MPOE they connect to a 110 block which carries the lines on a 12-pair wire approx 150' into the phone closet where it terminates at a 66-block, from there it's patched into the IPO.

I have seen tons of issues with ATM4's. what you can try is put a 16 in and see if it stops.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

both suggestions are good. See if you can duplicate the cross talk at the 66 block before they go into the system. If you can't duplicate the problem before the trunks go into the switch then you know it's happening in the switch. You either need to swapp out the 500 or the digital 8 or both.

opps.. or the mezzanine card that is the analog trunk card. if you have a free slot in the 500 you could try that to rule out the 500.

I had cross-talk with an IP500 4-port analog pots card. I solved it by installing a legacy 4-port card with the legacy card carrier. That is, if it's the IPO causing it. I would try testing from the block first, then move to testing while plugged directly into the IPO with the phone, then start blaming the IPO if it doesn't happen on the block, but does when plugged directly into it. If it doesn't happen at either of those points, you know it's the station cabling.

Update...

First off, thank you all for your suggestions. What makes this difficult is that the client is in the Bay area and I am in Los Angeles. Their corporate office is in L.A. and I setup the IPO there, so they wanted the same system up north.

Anyway... dreading the thought of travelling up north for this issue, and not liking the idea of trying to find a qualified vendor up there to fix it without bleeding me dry for cash to do so, I decided to poke around the settings for the analog card.

Under the analog settings for each line there is an "Impedence" setting that was set to default. I didn't really know what this meant, and the documentation was weak in this area (and yeah, I didn't really google it as it was 4am when I was poking around), but luckily Avaya provided the "idiot button" called Automatic Balance Impedence Match, which tests the line and recommends the best impedence setting. In my case it set the impedence setting to "900+2150nf", I accepted and applied the settings to all lines.

So far the problem seems to have gone away. I checked with the client this evening, after a full day of functioning with the new settings, and they said that they had not heard any noise all day.

So I don't know it that really was the "fix", but I figured I'd throw this out there in case someone else had a similar experience, or wanted to try it out. Also, I dont like to be one of those people that finds the answer but doesn't post it to the community.

Star for sharing this good information and solving the problem :)

ACS IP Office or is it ACSS :)
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Sometimes i whished Avaya had more "Idiot" buttons build in;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back