Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SOS on Exchange (MS Exchange 5.5 does not respond) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iseac

MIS
Dec 21, 2000
US
Trying to open MS Exchange 5.5, error occured "MS exchange server does not respond MS exchange directory
ID no. DS_E_communications_problem

A connection could not be made to MS exchange server. I tried to browse after that error and then I get"Could not locate MSexchange Admin ID no. c10312c8

Did you ever find an answer to this, I'm having the same problem.

I've noticed that if you try to connect to exchange with a different service pack of the admin tool you will get this error.

F'rinstance, your Exch 5.5 sp3 gets nuked by this week's virus. You install a clean 5.5 sp1 and try to connect to it with the 5.5 sp3 admin from on your desk and it will not work.

If that's not the case make sure your exchange Directory is running and in good shape. All that tool does is look at the directory service. I've also had simialr problems trying to admin from different domains and wierd things, which might give you a insufficient_access_etc _or_ ds_e_comm error.

Does this problem occur when you are sitting at the server?

I've forgotten half the stuff I used to do to fix such things, have you tried looking on microsoft.com/technet?

The only time I have seen this is when the computer trying to connect to the server has one of three problems:

1) Network connectivity is flaky (bad cable, bad hub, network drop is not properly bixed, etc..)

2) The machine is using a cached account and the credentials are such that Exchange will not allow it to access the server. (log off and ensure that you are not using a cached account - and make sure that you are properly logged onto the domain).

3) verland suggestion, to me, holds water -- make sure that the service paks on the client machine using the Admin Tool is as current as the production exchange server.

Al Rozon
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

I'm having this same error message and problem. But, My Exchange 5.5 server is running NT4 and the Veritas backup server that I NEED the exchange admin on is Windows 2000. Everything was fine until the backup server crashed. I reinstlaled everything. Now I cannot back up Exchange (Exchange Store Service is not responding) or run the exchange admin. I get the same Exchange Admin error above. I can run the Exchange admin from my workstation (NT4 WS) and from the exchange server while logged in as myself (my account has lots of exchange rights).

Have you tried adding the Exchange Server Admin services account in the local admin group on that server? Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

I believe I did try that to no avail, but I do not know anymore since, for unrelated reasons, I had to restore this server from an old backup. I have just not installed SP3 or the Security rollup that caused this in the first place. After I upgrade my Exchange 5.5 server to Windows 2000 then I will install SP3 to the backup server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back