Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting the same field twice on same report

Status
Not open for further replies.

SueSp

MIS
Jul 26, 2004
US
Hello.

System - CE10 Embedded, CR10 Adv Dev. MS SQL

I have a report that shows date/times of processes for a machine grouped by machine then date/time. The details are suppressed and I'm showing my fields in the group 1 footer. Group 1 is Machine Number and Group 2 is Date. In the Group 1 footer I need to show First Activity and Last Activity for that particular machine number. Then I show an elapsed time calculation between the two. Activity is one DB Field.

So, Machines 10, 11, and 12 will have activity througout the given date range. I need to show the first activity and then the last activity for a date range:
Mach# First Last
10 1-9-06 08:01:30 1-9-06 14:03:33
11 1-9-06 07:00:12 1-9-06 23:00:00
12 1-9-06 02:23:20 1-9-06 13:20:00

In this example Machine 10 (or any of them) could have had hundreds of entries between the times shown. I just need to show first and last.

I've been trying to use variables but can't seem to get the right results. I would think a formula of some sort should be able to show the earlies time and latest time for the Group, no?

Thanks for any input!

Group by the machine.

To return just the first and last per machine, use Report->Selection Formulas->Group and place:

{table.date} = minimum({table.date},{table.machine})
or
{table.date} = maximum({table.date},{table.machine})

Now create 2 formulas for display:

minimum({table.date},{table.machine})

maximum({table.date},{table.machine})

You didn't state what this elapsed time calculation is suppposed to show, is this days:hours:minutes:second:milliseconds, or???

You did a job job describing it up until you needed to display something.

Here's my FAQ on displaying time differences:

faq767-3543

You'd use the min and max formulas aove in the datediff function.

-k

Wow. I'm gonna have to check out what you've said to do. This may just be the ticket!

The time diff just shows elapsed hours like 1.5 hours for example. If I was smart enough I'd figure out how to show the difference as hh:mm:ss...

Thanks so much!

I'm curious. Are you first and last dates within the same record in a table. If not how did you get crystal to print side by side like this. 1-9-2006 1-9-2006

If you insert two summaries (minimum, maximum) on a detail field, you can place them wherever you want in the group footer (or header). That's all SueSP needed to do above.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back