Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting rows by date in Excel 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

david7777777777

Programmer
Sep 26, 2001
US
I'd like to sort 20 rows by year. Column A contains dates like this:

02/25/00
10/14/02
05/03/72

...and so on. I know how to do Text-To-Columns to spearate the year out from the rest of the date, but I'm wondering if Excel can sort by year using the date data as it stands. Thanks.

david7777777777,
I set up a series of dates and experimented with the sort:

Date <-- Label not necessary, just my habit
10/20/82
11/19/95
11/20/95
1/5/98
5/19/71
4/12/83
6/23/89

i formatted the cells to a m/d/yy date format, then clicked on the first cell in the list and selected the A-->Z sort Icon. It worked fine. Undid the sort and tried the Descending Sort, and it worked fine as well. You shouldn't have to separate any of the cell data.

Hope this was helpful--- Angie

If you want to view the data by year, you can set the filter for your range.
Data-Filter-Auto or Advanced Filter

Auto Filter will only let you see what you've set (custom, &quot;is greater than&quot; &quot;01/01/01&quot; AND &quot;is less than&quot; 01/01/02&quot;) will let you see only 2001 data.

Advanced Filter will let you copy or move the data to a separate page or location in the worksheet.

You set the criteria.

--
Is your problem that the dates won't sort correctly? Sorting by the first digit, instead of the actual date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back