Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting on Percentage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belpheghor

Programmer
Feb 19, 2008
BE
I'am quiete new to CR. I have CR 8.5 and my problem is the following:

I have two groups in my report:

ClientID
DateServiced

Each client can be serviced more than one time over a given period.

I have a total ClientDistributionCost that I managed to compute and a total RouteCost (not only this particular client had been serviced in the route).
Division between the two gives u a percentage that I want to sort on descending. Is it possible to filter out clients for a particular percentage or to compute the top 10 most expensive clients?

I managed to cumpute the percentage as a formula field in the ClientID group footer but how can I sort on that value?

Thanks a lot for your advice

have a look at the Top N expert.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

Please provide the content of the percentage formula you want to sort on. If there are any nested formulas in it, show the content of those, too.

-LB

I want to sort on the division of two summary fields that are put in the ClientID Group Footer:

It yields : (Sum of ClientDistributionCost)/(Sum of RouteCost)*100

For a reason that I don't know creating the here-above formula and putting it into ClientID Group Footer don't compute the correct value. Using Running total fields work.

So there aren't any nested formula in it.

Please post your actual formula verbatim from the formula editor.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

The formula that computes finally the correct percentage and that I want to sort on (@Percentage) is :

Sum ({View_Reporting_ClientStatistics_Unique.DistributedDifferentialCost}, {View_Reporting_ClientStatistics_Unique.ClientId})/Sum ({View_Reporting_ClientStatistics_Unique.Cost}, {View_Reporting_ClientStatistics_Unique.ClientId})*100

Thanks

Your prior formula was computing the grand total sums instead of per client id.

A formula that uses sums (or any other aggregate) can't be used for a Group Sort. This is because such a formula is computed in the same report pass as the sorting of the groups. That is just a fancy way of saying this is a limitation of Crystal.

Since you are already using a View, the easiest solution is to add a view or modify the existing view so that it provides the summary values in the raw data set.

- Ido

view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Or, insert a SQL expression {%percent} like this:

(
select sum(`DistributedDifferentialCost`)
from View_Reporting_ClientStatistics_Unique A
where A.`ClientId` = View_Reporting_ClientStatistics_Unique.`ClientID`
)/
(
select sum(`Cost`)
from View_Reporting_ClientStatistics_Unique A
where A.`ClientId` = View_Reporting_ClientStatistics_Unique.`ClientID`
) * 100

The punctuation will be specific to your datasource. Place {%percent} in the detail section and insert a maximum on it (you need to do this to activate the topN sort). Then go to topN and sort on the maximum on {%percent}.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back