Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting on new group not honored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven4

Vendor
Jan 10, 2008
US
Crystal version 9.

I have a report that currently has the following group/sorting options:

Group 1, sorted ascending: Product
Group 2, sorted ascending: Product Subcategory
Details, sorted Ascending: Customer Lastname_firstname

I need to add a third group for customer parent company, sorted ascending, but when I add the group the sorting of this new group is ignored and it still sorts by last name which gives me these results (ignoring the product and sub-category here - those are working no problem):

Company A
Acker
Bilk

Company B
Bose
Channing

Company A
Clinton
Darius

Instead of what I need to see which is:

Company A
Acker
Bilk
Clinton
Darius

Company B
Bose
Channing

My initial search led me to this thread and I played around with a Top-N sort but couldn't make it work. I got so frustrated that I gave up, removed my group, re-added it and the sorting magically started working as it should.

So I'm doing another report this morning and once again am running into the original problem. No matter how many times I remove or add the new group, nothing is working, which leads me to believe I must have done something else to make this work but have no idea what it was.

When I added the new group I indicated it should sort ascending by company name and I have "Keep Together" enabled on the Group options tab. The record sort expert shows everything the way it should be as follows but I'm still getting the wrong results:

Group #1: Product.Product - A
Group #2: Product.Product_Subcategory - A
Group #3: Customer.PARENT - A
A - Customer.LastName_FirstName

I appreciate any insights.

Thanks.

Sorry, everyone. You can disregard this thread. There was a sort being imposed on the report via some specifications in the application through which I'm running the report that were over-riding the Crystal sort options. Thanks anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back