Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting month names

Status
Not open for further replies.

psujal

Programmer
Mar 13, 2001
GB
Hello,

I have a month name column in my report and i want to sort data in the report, on this column. But Analytics sorts the data in alphabetical order rather than in order of month (ie Jan to Dec). Any ideas as to how I can sort the column as required?

Thanks & Regards,
Sujal

Have you tried clicking on the column header? - Hashim [smile]

This is easy...

Do you have a Month Number column in the Database? If yes, then what you need to add a logical column 'Month Number' mapping to the column mentioned above. The is in Admin Tool, edit the logical column Month Name and set the sorting according to the Month Number column. Whenever Month name is displayed it will sort by Month Number.

Hope this helps!

Aabid

I tried the solution mentioned regarding the concatenation of the month num with the name. Once you create the new column it still recognizes it as a text field and sorts it in text order - So you get Jan. (month 1) then Oct. (month 10).
There is a way though. Create a logical column with year, then month num. So, October 2003 becomes 2003_10. This column can then be added to the reports and will sort in year, month order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back