Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting Data within a Linked Subreport - Crystal Reports XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

moopenguin32

Technical User
Dec 23, 2008
US
This is my first post in this forum and I apologize if this is not the correct place for this type of question.

I am using Crystal Reports XI Release 1. I have a main report which has a linked subreport within it. I want to sort the subreport by two of the fields. However, when I set this up on the subreport using the Record Sort Expert, the sorting does not take place in the main report.

Here's a more detailed example in case it helps. The table in the main report is FIN:CostAssociationJoin. The table in the subreport is HPD:Help Desk. A field called "Instance ID 01" from the main report table links to a field called "InstanceId" from the subreport table.

Within the subreport, I would like to sort by a field called "Agency" and then a field called "Division." I have set this up through the Record Sort Expert. However, when I run the report, nothing is sorted. I can only successfully sort if I do it through the main report.

I am hoping it is possible to sort the data through the subreport since I really need the data sorted by Agency and Division which are two fields not available in the main report table. If it helps, I am reporting on data housed in BMC Remedy 7 (IT Service Management application; Help Desk etc). Remedy uses an Oracle database. Crystal Reports connects to the database using an ODBC driver.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

"Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday." - Dale Carnegie

Are you hoping to sort the main report by the subreport fields? Not possible. If this is what you are trying to do, you should make the subreport your main report.

Otherwise, if you really mean you are trying to sort the subreport itself, there should be no problem sorting records--as long as you realize the subreport is executing separately for each ID and will only sort within that ID.

-LB

Unfortunately, I am trying to sort the main report by the subreport fields. I will take your advice and reverse them.

Thanks for your help with this.

"Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday." - Dale Carnegie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back