Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sorting by dates in access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmals

Technical User
Oct 8, 2002
US
Hi!
I am running a report sorting by date. When there is no date available, the field is left blank. When i run the report, the info that has dates appears, but the ones that are left blank do not. How can i make those fields blank appear in the report...

thanks
schmals[ponytails]

Hi!

It sounds like the report is using a query that limits the date field. If that is the case, then add Or IsNull(YourDatefield) = True to the criteria.

hth

Jeff Bridgham
Purdue University
Graduate School
Data Analyst

Hi

The dates which are "Blank" are presumably null, and are therefore excluded from the result set, either change your criteria to included Null (IsNull()) and/or see Nz() function in Help

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Ok,
I tried

Or IsNull(ETA USA) = True as well as
(IsNull(ETA USA))

(fyi...my column is called ETA USA)

i think it might be a tuesday morning thing... but neither one is working..i tried both ways in the criteria section of my query..
thanks in advance for all the help...

schmals [ponytails]

Hi schmals!

You need to put your column name in [] because of the space.

hth

Jeff Bridgham
Purdue University
Graduate School
Data Analyst

i tried using [] but when i did that, i got the error message:

This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated. Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts fo the expression to variables....

anything else i could try??

thanks
schmals

Any chance you could post your actual SQL code ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

SELECT [Product Detail tbl].[Shipment Number] AS [Product Detail tbl_Shipment Number], [Product Detail tbl].Brand, [Product Detail tbl].[Number of Cases], [Product Detail tbl].Species, [Product Detail tbl].Form, [Product Detail tbl].Pack, [Product Detail tbl].Size, [Product Detail tbl].Cost, [Shipment Detail tbl].[Container Number], [Shipment Detail tbl].Vendor1, [Shipment Detail tbl].[Estimated Shipping Date], [Shipment Detail tbl].[Actual Shipping Date], [Shipment Detail tbl].[Shipping Line], [Shipment Detail tbl].[ETA USA], [Shipment Detail tbl].[ETA Freezer], [Shipment Detail tbl].INV
FROM [Shipment Detail tbl] INNER JOIN [Product Detail tbl] ON [Shipment Detail tbl].[Shipment Number] = [Product Detail tbl].[Shipment Number]
WHERE ((([Shipment Detail tbl].[Estimated Shipping Date]) Between [Estimated Shipping Date Beginning:] And [Estimated Shipment Date Ending:]));

the column that i need help is ETA USA. thanks again for all your help!!!!

schmals [ponytails]

My guess is to replace this:
WHERE ((([Shipment Detail tbl].[Estimated Shipping Date]) Between [Estimated Shipping Date Beginning:] And [Estimated Shipment Date Ending:]));
By this:
WHERE ([Shipment Detail tbl].[Estimated Shipping Date] Between [Estimated Shipping Date Beginning:] And [Estimated Shipment Date Ending:])
OR [Shipment Detail tbl].[Estimated Shipping Date] Is Null;

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Yeah!
that worked!!!! but here is one more question for a different report... the same problem is occuring in a number column. if the guys don't have sales for an account, that account isn't showing up on the report, it is just skipping it.. i think it is the same problem, but i am not sure where to fix it.. the columns that are sometimes zeros are ar_weight and ar_sales.

here is the sql code.....

SELECT ARHIMAST.AR_MM, ARHIMAST.AR_YY, ARHITRAN.AR_WEIGHT, ARHITRAN.AR_SALES, ARHITRAN.AR_PROD, INMAST.IN_PACK, INMAST.IN_DESC, INMAST.IN_BRAND, INMAST.IN_ORIGIN, [ar_sales]-[complete cost] AS [total profit], [ar_weight]*([ar_mcost]+[ar_freunit]+[ar_rebunit]+[ar_comunit]) AS [complete cost], ARHITRAN.AR_DOCNO, ARMAST.AR_ADDR1, ARMAST.AR_ADDR2, ARMAST.AR_ADDR3, ARMAST.AR_CITY, ARMAST.AR_STATE, ARMAST.AR_ZIP, ARMAST.AR_BUYGRP, ARMAST.AR_SLSMAN, ARMAST.AR_TERMS, ARMAST.AR_PPHONE, ARMAST.AR_PFAX, ARMAST.AR_CREDIT, ARMAST.AR_PCONT1, ARMAST.AR_PCONT2, ARMAST.AR_DPHONE, ARMAST.AR_NAME, ARMAST.AR_CUST
FROM ((INMAST INNER JOIN ARHITRAN ON INMAST.IN_NO = ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) INNER JOIN ARHIMAST ON (ARHITRAN.AR_DOCNO = ARHIMAST.AR_DOCNO) AND (ARHITRAN.AR_CUST = ARHIMAST.AR_CUST)) INNER JOIN ARMAST ON ARHIMAST.AR_CUST = ARMAST.AR_CUST
WHERE (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="07") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 1 And 313)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="07") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 315 And 318)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="07") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 320 And 999)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="08") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 1 And 313)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="08") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 315 And 318)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="08") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 320 And 999)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="09") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 1 And 313)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="09") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 315 And 318)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="09") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 320 And 999)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="10") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 1 And 313)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="10") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 315 And 318)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="10") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 320 And 999)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="11") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 1 And 313)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="11") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 315 And 318)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="11") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 320 And 999)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="12") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 1 And 313)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="12") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 315 And 318)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="12") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="04") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 320 And 999)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="01") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 1 And 313)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="01") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 315 And 318)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="01") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 320 And 999)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="02") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 1 And 313)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="02") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 315 And 318)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="02") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 320 And 999)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="03") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 1 And 313)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="03") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 315 And 318)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="03") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 320 And 999)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="04") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 1 And 313)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="04") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 315 And 318)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="04") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 320 And 999)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="05") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 1 And 313)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="05") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 315 And 318)) OR (((ARHIMAST.AR_MM)="05") AND ((ARHIMAST.AR_YY)="05") AND ((ARHITRAN.AR_PROD) Between 320 And 999));

thanks sooooo much for all your help...
schmals [ponytails]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back