Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting Arrays 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swi

Programmer
Feb 4, 2002
US
Is there any way to monitor the progress when an array is sorting other than writing my own routine?

aryData.Sort(aryData)

Swi

Interesting question.. I don't think there's a way. Never heard of doing that for a high-level language- I can't think of a way to know how "unsorted" it is without iterating over the array every time.

The best I can think of would be to create a custom IComparer and use it for your comparisons, so you could log every time a comparison is made and thereby approximate progress.

If you don't mind me asking, what's it for?

A count routine. Counting instances within text files and storing them in arrays, sorting the array and then comparing the records of the sorted array and writing out the results to a report file. Here is what the report looks like. I did it this way in VB6 because it did not have sorted container like other programming languages.

4/12/2005 2:26:05 PM

COUNT % OF FILE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2031166 100.00% RESIDENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 <-----TOTAL # OF OCCURENCES
2031166 <-----TOTAL # OF RECORDS

VBCounts v1.0
FIELD SUMMARY
INPUT FILE---------------> C:\767203TEST
REPORT FILE--------------> C:\767203TEST.TXT
COUNT FIELD 1------------> 0001 for 50

Swi

Thanks, I will check it out.

Swi

Status
Not open for further replies.