Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting a summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajxmas

Programmer
Oct 24, 2007
US
Hello All,
I am using CR XI. I'm totally new to CR. I am creating a Sales report with many different parameter and sort options for the user to select from. One of the sort options is descending by total $ sold per customer. Because of CR's multi-pass processing I cannot sort on a running total or a summary. So I tried creating a formula to calculate the total $ but it doesn't work quite right.

Here are the formulas I have now:

@total - placed on Detail(will be suppressed)
global numbervar total := total + {VENDOR_SALES.AMT_SOLD}
(If I use WhilePrinting I get the right $ but I still can't sort on it. If I use EvaluateAfter I can sort on it but the final $ isn't quite right)

@reset total - placed on Group Header
WhilePrintingRecords;
global numbervar total := 0

@disp total - placed on Group Footer
WhilePrintingRecords;
global numbervar total

Any suggestions or better alternatives are appreciated.

Dump the variable formulas and just insert simple summaries. You do this by right clicking on the field in question and select insert, summary.

Then use the Top N expert to sort.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

I tried that but then my other sort options get ignored.

Please lay out the sort options you are using, along with their datatype and the parameter you are using for the sort options.

-LB

The user enters a parameter (?Sort Field) to pick which way he wants to sort.

?Sort Field = 1(Dollar) or 2(Zip) or 3(cust name) or 4(cust #)

@sort- formula:
if {?Sort Field} = '1' then
totext({@sum amt}) else
if {?Sort Field} = '2' then
{VENDOR_ACCOUNT.ZIP_BASE} & {VENDOR_ACCOUNT.ACCT_ID} else
if {?Sort Field} = '3' then
{VENDOR_ACCOUNT.ACCT_NAME} else
if {?Sort Field} = '4' then
{%acct_tochar}

Option 1 is for descending Total $ and is a numeric field. All the other options are string fields & will be ascending.

In my Group Header I sort on @sort with the following formula:
If {?Sort Field} = '1' then
crDescendingOrder
else
crAscendingOrder

When I use the Group Sort Expert it always sorts on the Total $ even if I pick one of the other options.

So the contents of {@sum amt} are? And do you have a current group or were you hoping to group on the sort formula?

-LB

I'm sorry, @sum amt is actually @total.

global numbervar total := total + {VENDOR_SALES.AMT_SOLD}

Yes, I have a current group sorted on @sort with the following formula:
If {?Sort Field} = '1' then
crDescendingOrder
else
crAscendingOrder

You cannot use variables in this way if you want to do a group sort.

I was not asking about your sort formula, but about what groups you have. Let's just say you have a group of some kind.

Set up two sort formulas:

//{@sortbyamt}:
if {?Sort} = '1' then {VENDOR_SALES.AMT_SOLD}

Insert a sum on this formula at the group level. Then go to report->group sort->choose "sum of {@sortbyamt}" descending as your group sort field. If {?Sort} <> '1' the group sort will have no effect.

//{@sort}:
if {?Sort Field} = '2' then
{VENDOR_ACCOUNT.ZIP_BASE} & {VENDOR_ACCOUNT.ACCT_ID} else
if {?Sort Field} = '3' then
{VENDOR_ACCOUNT.ACCT_NAME} else
if {?Sort Field} = '4' then
{%acct_tochar}

If you want the sort field to take precedence over any existing groups, then insert a group on {@sort} and make it your Group #1. If you just want it to sort within your existing group, add it to report->sort records.

I could be more specific if I knew what you were grouping on.

-LB

I will try this method.

For clarification my groups are:

Group 1: - Sorted by Service Type
Group 2: - Sorted based on User entered parm (@sort)
Group 3: - Sorted by sales description

So Group 2 is the only group that should change sort order based the parm entered.

Do you want Group 1 or Group 3 sorted by the sales total if {?sort} = '1'? Insert the summary at the appropriate group level, and then choose that summary in the group sort.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back