Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting a subtotal

Status
Not open for further replies.

samilam

Technical User
Jul 9, 2003
I have a spreadsheet with a column with dollar amounts. I have subtotals on a change of a certain column, but I want to sort the list by smallest subtotal amount to largest subtotal amount. I've gotten it to work before, but now when i try, it warns me and wants to unsubtotal my group to sort. How do I keep my subtotal, but sort on the formula'd subtotal field?

On the subtotal buttons, select number 2 then highlite and sort on the column you want.

That is what I tried to do, but when i do, it tries to unsort my groups.

When you click on the number two tab, are you just seeing the subtotals on the sheet? Not sure what your data is, but when I created a sample of three columns of data, I did a sort on column B then ran a subtotal, then clciked on tab 2, then did a sort on the subtotals and it worked great.

Blue

Hi Samilam,

I think I might have figured out what could be happening. I had the same thing happening on one of my spreadsheets. I had a sum at the bottom of my subtotaled column. As soon as removed the row with the sum in it, it sorted fine. Either that or you could look for any record or row that doesn't have a value in you "on change" column. Hope that helps.

Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back