Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sort Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gux

Programmer
Oct 17, 2002
BE
I have a group in my report and a field in this group.
I want to sort records by the field and not by the group.

Does someone know how I can do ?

Thanks.

By definition, when you group by a field, you sort by that field. You can have a second, third, fourth, etc. sort field.

What are you trying to do? Please elaborate.
Software Sales, Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

I have to group records by 'Industry' but I want records to be sorted by 'Position'.

Thank you but I found the solution : I use the 'Top N/Sort Group Expert ...'.

Gux

If you group by industry, by definition all of the industry records will be together and subtotaled, and the industry field will be your primary sort.

Please explain how you accomplished this with the TopN expert or any other way. Software Sales, Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Remark : I only use fields in the 'Industry' group header. (Industry Name and Sum of Position)

Right Click Report
Choose Top N / Sort Group Expert ...
Select 'Industry' tab
For This Group Select 'All'
Based on 'Sum of Position'

Gux

So you are grouping on position, but including the industry name in the group header? If that is the case then the only industry description you will get is the description of the first record in the group. What are you doing if there are multiple industries per group of postions? Software Sales, Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

I am sorry if I give you bad explanation, maybe my english is wrong.

Initially I have this result

'Financials' 1,000.25 €
'Technology' 500.23 €
'Energy' 10,250.69 €

and I can know display this new result

'Energy' 10,250.69 €
'Financials' 1,000.25 €
'Technology' 500.23 €

I'm always ready for more explnations ...

Gux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back