Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sort Order Error when restoring a Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

biren

Technical User
Sep 19, 2001
GB
Hi Peep's

i have a problem when trying to restore a backup file that ive taken off from a backup server. Im now trying to restore the database from this .bak file, but when i try to do so it throws up an error message saying that the backup was done so under sort order id 54 where as the SQL Server 7 that im running on a different server is running in sort order id 52 (apparently!)

ive tried to re-install the SQL server a couple of times, but nowhere have i come across an option to change the sort order (even in custom install)

any help would be great as its hurting me every minute i look at my screen! and i think my hair might fall out if i pull it any more.....

thank you

There are two things you need to read on this:
- syscharsets
Contains one row for each character set and sort order defined for use by Microsoft® SQL Server™. One of the sort orders is marked in sysconfigures as the default sort order, which is the only one actually in use.

- And the BOL article "Selecting a SQL Collation", this one will explain to you the real meaning of each ID and also show you links to why and how to change the "Sort Order ID"

I hope this helps AL Almeida
NT/DB Admin
"May all those that come behind us, find us faithfull"

thanks aalmeida,

one more thing though.....what is a BOL article??

thank You

BOL is short for "Books Online" witch is the primary source of information and documentation for MS SQL Server, it comes on the Cd and is usualy intalled on the client workstations. AL Almeida
NT/DB Admin
"May all those that come behind us, find us faithfull"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back