Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sort Excel (2003) Sheet By Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyvern621

Technical User
Nov 11, 2005
US
Happy Monday All...[bigcheeks]

I have a spreadsheet with a few thousand rows, some of which are highlighted in color--the highlight goes completely across the row. Is there a way to sort a spreadsheet by color?

Thanks in advance...

ChiTownDiva [ponytails]

short answer: no

long answer: if you can replicate the logic that has changed the colour of the cells, you can use the same logic in a formula to return a number which can then be sorted on

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

I think there is a VBA way to do this but I'm not that good at it so I bought a system called ASAP utilities which lets you sort by colour as well as other things, always worked for me

P.S. I am in no way connected to the app. just use it as an end user myself

----------------------------------------
This ^ Line indicates the end of my post, apart from the bit below which is my signature

Regards, Phil.

If you do wish to go with a VBA solution, code to do this has been posted on Tek-Tips before. If you need help with that, please create a new thread in forum707.

But I think it is much better to go with Geoff's idea and use the same logic behind why the rows are colored in the first place.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back