Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorry to bother you again friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkdev

ISP
Aug 2, 2002
IN
Dear friends,
I have around 150 machines in my network.We have manual system of ip adressing.My question is how an we identify the machines in case of ip address conflicts.

thanx and regards
dev

Are you looking for simple statistics or do you want to manage the pc's ?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

If you're just looking for a list with machine name, I second Bill's suggestion

I suggest - if at all possible - DHCP. A good DHCP server could always reserve IPs against MAC addresses if a machine needs a stable IP address.

In case of conflicts, MAC addresses can usually give you an idea of where the conflict lies: The first half of a MAC address contains the ID number of the manufacturer, giving you a fighting chance of identifying the offending equipment.

<marc>

Friends i just want to that one day i come in the morning to office and i switch on my pc and i found that it gives a message of ip conflict.Now how come i know that which one of the 150 pcs has taken or been given my ip address.
thanx and regards
dev

Here in our office the last number in the IP number is the phone extension for that area and the other computers such as the mail server are put in a range we are not suppose to use.

Bo

I'm a man,, I can change,, If I have too,, I guess. (Red Green)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back