Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorry if this has been asked before 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaSun

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
US
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know of a good reference that discusses the correct way to add EMC disks to a Solaris 2.x box? Our situation is this:

We have a Symmetrix that is fibre attached (connectrix) to a number of our Solaris 2.6 and 2.7 servers. It seems that whenever we try to allocate EMC disks to any of the servers, we always have problems "seeing" the disks on the server. We have tried numerous things like updating the sd.conf, so we are looking for a step-by-step guide that speaks to adding disks. We have questions on both the OS and Symmetrix levels, and need info on both. Thanks in advance for any help!

Jason

Well, I'm not sure how helpfull this will be, but here are my two cents worth on the problem.

I had the same problem with my HP9000 systems: I would assign disks to a server, but could not see them once I committed the changes in SDR. I finally learned through EMC support that for SDR to work properly, I had to login directly to the server with the SDR software on it, and run the ECC and SDR software from there. No telnet or rlogin. Once I started doing that everything worked fine.

Then I ran the two commands specific to HP-UX to find new devices (insf and ioscan), and then the disks were available to my system.

I know that Sun's procedures are vastly different for making the system discover the disks once the SDR changes have been committed.
drvconfig
disks
format
Then some specific instructions from one of the Solaris manuals.

I can not really discuss those since I have not worked on a Solaris system.
--
Dave

you mentioned updating the sd.conf file. You are probably using LP7000 or LP8000 HBAs: have you updated the lpfc.conf file as well?

DId you ever get an answer to this question? I have a similar situation I am trying to work throiugh right now...

I have EMC FC4700 on Sun Solaris 8 and SCSI Clariions on Solaris8. It seems to me you need EMC ATF software on Solaris to make it work. It uses an atf.conf in conjunction with the sd.conf. The ATF software is easy to install and set up. The installation guide is pretty straight forward.

Hello all!
Does anone knows how do I do verify the new disks on solaris systems, after I have setup de correct masking on the device?

Regards,
Hugo Novo

Hugo Novo
Portugal

Hello all!
Does anyone knows how do I do verify the new disks on solaris systems, after I have setup de correct masking on the device?

Regards,
Hugo Novo

Hugo Novo
Portugal

Guys, first of all you need to configure "persistent binding".. with this you ensure that all devices that are shown through a port (a specific WWPN) will be always assigned toa specifi target, for example in lpfc.conf you set persistent binding:

fcp-binding-WWPN: "5006000100112233:t17"
"5006000100112244:t18"

so, each LUN shown through the port with WWPN 5006000100112233 (note the last 2 digits) will be always cXt17dX and 5006000100112244 (note the last 2 digits) will be always cXt18dX.

With this you can modify your sd.conf in order to have LUNs from 0 to 255, so everytime you add LUNs (volumes) to those ports you will always get the same target.

If you don't use persistent binfing, the target will be calculated on the fly, so you can not know whether the target will be 0, or 1 or 2, etc, so you will need always to modify your sd.conf.

hope this helps.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back