Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorry for my english :) There ar

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxAll

Programmer
Jun 13, 2003
CA
Sorry for my english :)

There are 2 villages.

Peoples in the village 1 always answer the truth, they can't lying.
Peoples in the village 2 always answering false stuff, they can't say something true.

You have to make a delivery to the village of the truth.

but along the way, very close to your destination across the forest, the path split in two different way.
On the ground, you can see the broken direction signs.

There's a person on his back on the grass looking at you with a smile. This person come from one village or the other village for sure. He know where is the village you looking for.

WHAT QUESTION WILL YOU ASK HIM TO GET THE RIGHT WAY TO THE VILLAGE OF THE TRUTH ?????

:)

[hide]If I were to ask someone else from your village which is the right direction to the village of truth, which direction would they say?[/hide]

[hide]"Which path should I take to get to your village?" If you're talking to a liar, you will get misdirected to the village of truth. If you're talking to someone who tells the truth, you will get correct directions to the village of truth. In both cases, you get directed to the village of truth.[/hide]

A variation on this puzzle: There are two people at the path junction. One always tells the truth; the other always lies. You don't know which is which. There are no villages. Instead, one path leads to danger; the other leads to safety.

You can only ask one question, and only to one of the two people.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

[hide]Ask one of the people, "Which path would the other person say leads to danger?" If you're talking to the honest person, the other is the liar and would direct you to the safe path, and the honest person would tell you this. If you're talking to the liar, the other is honest and would direct you to the dangerous path. But the liar would tell you the opposite. In either case, you will get directed to the safe path.[/hide]

Single person case, question with pointing one of the paths:
"If I were to ask you whether this path is secure, would you point this one?"
Both should answer correctly, double negation in case of liar.

combo

It probably should be mentioned that these truth/liar puzzles can get arbitrarily complicated. The ones that are normally encountered are more on the level of brain teasers than really difficult problems. But the so-called "hardest logic puzzle ever" is a similar puzzle, but beyond my ability:

Three gods A, B, and C are called, in no particular order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-no questions; each question must be put to exactly one god. The gods understand English, but will answer all questions in their own language, in which the words for yes and no are da and ja, in some order. You do not know which word means which.

The Wikipedia article on this puzzle provides a solution, but I would hate to have to try to solve it on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back