Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

English dictionary fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lewis

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
Scotland
www.ml-consult.co.uk
I don't know if anyone is still lurking in this forum. If so, here's a little exercise for you:

What are the longest words in English that can be made up from each row of a standard English typewriter keyboard?

So, each word can only contain letters from a single row, but each letter can be used multiple times.

I recently downloaded a file that contains 194,000 English words, and I hope to use it to generate various word games and puzzles. I started out by writing a program to find the answer to the above question. The results are quite interesting.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Another reason you can't compare the running time is I only measured finding all possible paths. The rest is just an SQL query on the data, I didn't integrate the parts into something running standalone, partly because once you have the data there is no need to not store and reuse it.

Chriss

>If your question is driven from whether to step up from VBA to anything else:

Nope. Been programming for over 30 years (although these days more as a dabbler than as a profession). Well aware of strengths and weaknesses of different languages. Was just vaguely curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back