Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SOP10100 Notes Field 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaj23

Programmer
Nov 3, 2009
US
Hey guys,
I read a thread on here regarding a notes field in the unposted invoices table (SOP10100). It unfortunately was a little over my head and was hoping for some clarification as I'm pretty new to great plains.

First I'm on version 10 if that makes a difference - I'd like to be able to add some comments to an invoice that's already been written but not yet posted. Can I simply add to SOP10106 the notes I want in the CMMTTEXT field so long as I write the corresponding soptype and sopnumber in the corresponding columns and still have this show up on a printed invoice?

I also saw a a previous post that there's a COMMNTID field in SOP10100 and there is a corresponding field in SY04200 which also contains a CMMTTEXT field.

Is either of the above methods acceptable for directly writing to an invoice, will either cause issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Aj

The SOP Documents have two varieties of comments - an overall comment field that applies to the document and a comment field that applies to each line on the SOP document.

For the former, this is stored in the SOP10106 table
for the latter, this is stored in the SOP10202 table.

the CMMTTEXT field is the full version of the comments entered.
However, the application breaks this down into four field of 50 characters (hence first 200 characters unless new line), being COMMENT_1, COMMENT_2, COMMENT_3, COMMENT_4. These fields are substrings so the report layouts within report writer can easily print them.

The COMMNTID field in SOP10100 (or SOP10200) is used when a pre-defined Comment is selected, rather than a free form entry. In version 10 there is no need to populate this field.
Otherwise, yes, just have matching values in SOPTYPE and SOPNUMBE fields for the SOP10106 table.

The SY04200 table contains the pre defined comments available for selection. The SY04200 has a COMMNTID value which would be placed in the COMMNTID field of SOP10100 if this is how the comment text was selected.

------
Robert

Awesome, that really explains a lot. Though that does raise an additional question. Since I'm writing to the tables via SQL rather than entering them through GP, do I have to split the CMMTTEXT field into the 4 comment fields or will this be done by GP at some point? In my case I wrote a customer invoice report anyway, so would it make a difference regardless?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!
Aj

Yes, you will need to split the CMMTTEXT into four parts.
DynamicsGP will not do so, unless the user at some point makes a change to the comment from within the application.

Even though it sounds like you have your own report outside of DynamicsGP, I would suggest that the CMMTTEXT be split for instances where the user may still preview the SOP document within DynamicsGP.

------
Robert

Sounds like a plan, thank you for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back