Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soon 2 b testing Win7... Have some ?'s 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlchris2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
US
I just ordered 5 copies of Windows 7 Pro and hopefully get to start the installations by next week.

I run a Windows 2000 Mixed-Mode domain and use Home Directories via Active Directory. My main concern is the functionality of Windows 7 in my current domain.

Will Windows 7 work in a Windows 2000 Mixed-Mode domain enviroment? I mean as far as joining the domain, Active Directory security features, etc?

Will Windows 7 adapt to my Home directory structure?

Anything else I should know about Windows 7 and joining it to a domain???

Mark C.

Hi,

I guess the key to your environment is the 2000 Mixed mode, however I can confirm that it works fine in AD 2003 native.

Our XP GPO's configured my Home Directory perfectly.

HTH

Woter

Thx. I posted in the 200 Server forum as well.

I've been doing some reading online and find that some people are having problems others aren't.

Mark C.

I too can confer with Woter, I have a couple of Win 7 machines on a 2003 domain and a GPO pointing to home directories. Everything seems to be working just fine. In fact the people using Win 7 are having fewer complaints than my Vista users. I think I am going to move my entire domain to Win 7 come Q2 next year.

It is time to get away from XP.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

okay. I've still been doing reading online about Windows 7 and domain issues. I'm disappointed, thought I would be playing with Win7 today... but the delivery date got rescheduled. Hopefully next week.

Mark C.

No domain issues with state government here. Pretty sure all our servers are 2003 or newer though.

When you login though, it doesn't display the domain. It displays COMPUTERNAME\user

Weird, but I am still on the domain.

I got my copies yesterday and started the install. I am impressed thus far. no problem joinging a domain. Having some trouble with Anti-Virus compatibility.

I am also having a problem with our Home folders via Active Directory. They are not updating on the server/pc on logoff/logon. I setup a Local GPO - Set roaming profile path for all users logging on to this computer" (Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> User Profiles) to point to my HOME directory. Restarted and now in my HOME directory I have a ".V2" folder, but it contains nothing.

Anyone got any ideas? I can do the Profile/Home directory either way... through a GPO or thru Active Directory.

Mark C.

Are the file access permissions a problem for the folders which are not being written to?

No it wasn't a permissions issue. Apparently HOME folders and Roaming Profiles in XP and Windows 7 are a bit different. After several hour of testing, I figured it out.

I opened up the local Group Policy (Start -> Run -> type gpedit.msc) and under the setting "Set roaming profile path for all users logging on to this computer" (Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> User Profiles) I enabled the setting and used the path to the HOME\user profiles on a server. Ran GPUPDATE and restarted twice and it worked.

I will be testing XP MODE and compatibility of our company applications to see if we can roll out Win7 company wide. Oh I am not looking forward to this.

Mark C.

Sounds like you will be busy, but thanks for your recent feedback.

here is an update.

Still having some problems with Roaming Profiles/Folder Redirection and Group Policy. Cant find a happy medium and Windows 7 either likes it or it doesn't.

Windows XP mode is working great. I've installed a dozen applications that several of out depts use and they are working fine.

One thing I've noticed with it is when you run Win XP mode with dual monitors, any dialog box that appears onscreen, opens up in the middle of the two screens (does that in Windows 7 from time to time too). I am searching to see if it is a default display setting somewhere. Its just a pain, but doesn't cause any loss of functionality.

Mark C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back