Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sony VAIO VGN - Graphics card failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BionicJohn

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
It looks like the graphics display has packed up on my son's 4 year old Sony VAIO VGN-FE31H

The laptop boots up OK, but with lots of vertical blue lines on the screen. It proceeds to the WinXP splash but when you're expecting the login screen to appear, the screen goes black and blank. Zilch. Like it's not switched on.

I've tried Safe mode, but the same happens.

I've attached a monitor to the VGA output but Fn+F7 does nothing, so no display that way.

We've looked inside, and found a credit card sized ID Card, which could have been blocking air circulation, but judging from when my son said he lost the card and got a new one, it'd been in for around 18 months. So any negative effect has been slow to show up.

Otherwise everything inside the laptop seemed to be as expected.

So we're looking for solutions for repair.

A new mo-bo, if we can find one, is around £400.

A friend suggested a PCMCIA graphics card, but they seem like hen's teeth. And I'm not sure how we''d install any drivers. I guess that would power another monitor anyway, as it'd not be a replacement for the existing vid card.

We can't see anything suitable Ebay.

Or are we looking at a new laptop? [sad]

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

For the price of repairing anything Sony, I'd get a new one.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

It's looking that way…

I've got a Sony repair shop drawing up an estimate, but I can see myself selling the components (disply screen, key board, &c.) on Ebay to reduce my outlay.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

One of our Top Dogs loves his VAIO (if it's good enough for James Bond...), the repair bills have never been pleasant.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back