Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sony USB Camera not shown

Status
Not open for further replies.

gump1976

Technical User
Dec 21, 2001
US
Hello. I'm having an issue with Windows 98SE. When my digital camera (Sony PSC-30) is connected to the computer through the USB cable to get the photos from it, Windows is suppose to display a drive in Explorer called (Removeable Drive X:) where X is the drive letter. It seems that It will not show up in windows explorer unless I disconnect my Cd-writer (Drive F:) so that it can use drive F:. So as long as I only have a C, D, E, drive, it works fine and comes up as F:, however, as soon as I connect my Cd-Rom and/or Cd-RW, they take F: and G: and the camera doesn't show up in Windows Explorer so I cannot gain access to the camera. Does someone know what I'm talking about here? I need Windows Explorer to show more drive letters. Thanks
Matthew

W98 does not really need config.sys but it can be still used.Edit it and add in the line LASTDRIVE=Z
save it and try a reboot then see if it gives more letters.
It can be edited in notepad.path should be c:\config.sys

Thanks for the reply. I gave it a shot but still the camera still won't show. It's listed under "Disk Drives" under Device Manager as "Sony Removeable Disk" and when I click that to check the Settings, it says the Current Drive Letter is "G:", but the G: drive still won't show in Explorer or anywhere for that matter. Again I would have to remove the IDE cable from my CD-RW and reboot so it can use drive "F:" as it seems so intent on doing. Any other suggestions?

Good day Gump1976-

Placed in your situation, I would try utilizing Windows Update to get any important patches taken care of. If this isn't a weekly ceremony for Windows users you probably should start making it. The best way around that is making a link and placing it somewhere easily accessible to you.

Aside from that, which has already probably been tried, I would suggest getting TweakUI

That utility obviously tweaks your system and also has a tab on the actual program (which is accessible through the control panel after running "tweakui.cpl" after zipping the downloaded file) to enable a display of the drives on your system. Regardless if it helps or not, a nice little prog to have on your system.

Hope that helps

zon - FIH

Thanks! I downloaded that TweakUI program, checked the drives that I wanted to show in Windows Explorer, and it shows up now! I was using a simalar program (iTweakU), but that option was not in there so I uninstalled that and installed the TweakUI, all is good now. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back