Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sony Laptop suddenly stops working 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJorde

Technical User
Aug 20, 2001
US
My Sony Vaio suddenly went black and has no video. Is there any way to get a visible screen? I have removed the battery and turned it off an on several times. I even tried a rescue disk. Nothing on the screen... I tried plugging in an external screen and nothing came up.
I would like to make sure I have all the data before scrapping it. Any suggestions?
Dave

DrJorde
Webmaster

So you removed the battery and tried it on AC power only? With both the battery and AC power disconnected, hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. This will perform an internal reset that might help. Only reconnect AC power and try again.

If that doesn't help, then it sounds like your motherboard just crapped out. If it were the memory, CPU, or any other component, you would have likely received a series of beep codes or blinking LED lights. To get your data, remove the hard drive and attach it to another computer. You can use a USB adapter like this one.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Thank you for the tips. I tried as suggested but nothing good came of it. I noticed about a week ago that the color Blue was kind of bland and not as sharp. I suspected a video card may be going bad. On a laptop it is more than likely part of the MB. So I hope to salvage what I can. Then off to find another laptop I like. Never again will it be HP. This Sony lasted twice as long for half the money. I never shut it off in over 4 years only in "sleep" mode at night.
Dave

DrJorde
Webmaster

Did you switch the video mode when you tried the external monitor? it is F7 + Fn keys to choose the mode you want. A bad display would still allow it to work most of the time hooked to an external monitor. Do the power and hdd led's look normal? If non of this works, it is as Carl has said and most likely a faulty motherboard and the data should be fine on the hdd, just remove the drive and install it in a usb case.

Thanks guys! I tried the F7 + Fn key and still had a blank monitor. I think I am doomed to trying to save any HD stuff and buying a new Laptop or Tablet to replace it. What is the latest OS and if it isn't out, should I wait for it?

Dave

DrJorde
Webmaster

No need to wait, any computer that has Windows 7,8,or 8.1 will be getting Windows 10 for free later this year.

Sattingler's First Law: It works better if you plug it in.

Corollary, applicable here: It works better if the power brick works, and all the power cords and connectors are fully plugged in and undamaged.

You have not yet reported the presence or absence of electrical power to the motherboard, as witnessed by illumination of any LEDs in the laptop, or noise from any rotating drives therein.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back