Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sony dvd drive wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

blatin

Instructor
Mar 16, 2005
US
I recently got a sony dw d22a from newegg i wanted to replace my cd burner with it. when i opened up my case i saw both of the pins were set to cable select. i set the dvd burner to cable select and swapped it with the cd burner and put the IDE and power cables in very snug. i turned on my computer and it beeped and said that it could not detect secondary slave. i could press f1 to continue or f2 to go to the manager. i went to the manager and under the drives that is was an unknown device. the device is plug and play. i then just booted normally, then went to add hardware, but it wasnt there. when i boot my comp the light on the dvd rom drive goes on and flashes a bit, but my new burner doesnt lite up nor can i even open the tray. i have a dell dimension 4600 desktop. i also tested the drive to see if it gets any power on an emachine... didnt work. any idea what to do?? or should i did i get a bad burner and try to replace it at newegg?

first off, are you using a 40 pin ide cable or 80 pin?
Could be that the burner likes the opposite of what you are using. I have seen that on many installs, both with hard drives and with other ide drives, mostly other ide drives like yours. For some reason some drives will only work with a 40 pin cable and some will only work with an 80 pin cable, some will work with both. I installed a new dvd rom the other day for someone and there was a note inside the box saying it MUST be a 40 pin cable, cannot use 8o pin cable.
If you have an ultra 100 \133 ide hard drive that requires an 80 pin ide cable, you dont want to lose the speed and go down to a 40 pin cable so put the dvdrom on as secondary instead of primary and use a 40 pin cable instead of 80 pin cable.
I am only guessing on the cables as you didnt mention wether you were using a 40 or 80 pin ide cable.

If that doesnt work try master and slave instead of cable select.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

well it is a 40 pin cable. but should the drive be able to open with only the power cable in it?? or atleast a lite go on??

Sure. I believe so.

You could always try an 80 pin cable.
And again, you could always try the master\slave settings, no harm done there either.

well think i got a bad burner cause had tried the master/slave settings and also the burner has never turned its lite on or opened the tray... i know power is flowing through the cables. thanks for your help though.

Arent you glad you bought from Newegg now?
Least you know you will get no hassle from them and a replacement sent out.

yeah well im sending it back tonight thanks for all your help.

Youre welcome.

blatin,
At boot press F2 and go back into setup, set both Rom drives to NONE then save and exit. Let the system post then go back into setup and change to AUTO and let them redetect.
If that doesn't work then jumper your DVD-Rom as slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back