Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sony disk unit RMO-S551 on U320 LVD SCSI Controller (AHA-29320A-R)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MauroCMSVR

Technical User
Jul 12, 2018
BR
Hi,
My system is running SCO_SV c01s1a 3.2 5.0.6 i386

I have a SCSI controller U320 LVD SCSI Controller (AHA-29320A-R) that controlled an internal MO DISK UNIT that was defective and does not work anymore, we purchased an external, Sony MO RMO-S551 disk drive, I need to install this device but I'm new to the SCO Unix system and I'm having difficulty.
How to make sure the SCSI controller is up and running?
Installing the unit MO disk RMO-S551?

I'll be grateful for any help.
Sorry if my English is bad, I'm Brazilian and I do not speak English very well, I'm getting help from google.

To see if the controller is recognized:
tail -25 /usr/adm/messages should show the last boot sequence and all devices
If the controller is recognized then adding the external device should cause it to show as attached to the controller during post then should show up in the hardware list as it is detected during boot. Also should show in the tail of the appended messages file.
SCSI ID should be the same as the removed drive and a terminator activated or added to the cable.

Not familiar with your devices but what I describe is how standard stuff works.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hi, Thanks for the answer.

I looked for the "messages" file in the path you mentioned but it was in the path /var/adm/messages, I believe it's the same file.

I need to make sure the Adaptec U320 LVD SCSI card (AHA-29320A-R) is installed but I do not know how to do that.

After I am sure the SCSI card mentioned above is working I will have to install the MO (Magnetic Optical) RMO-S551 and also do not know how to do this, I know the MKDEV command but I do not know how this device is classified as to type , since it is not HD and neither DVD.

I've attached the file to help in solving my problem.

If the card is installed in the OS it should show up in the messages file at the time the drivers for it are loaded. That information should show up within the last 25 lines of the file which you can view with tail -25.
If it is not installed you would put it in place with mkdev scsi. Never have used that controller so don't know what links to use.
And no history with the drive but there is an online installation manual that covers the details.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back