Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sony DDS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

virgf1

Technical User
May 12, 2003
GB
I have an SDT 5200
I have installed the scsi card ok and have installed the tape drivers ok ....however how do i start using the drive ...
I am using XP and cannot see a drive link anywhere ...is there any tape drive software or is it a command line thing...
The drive looks very pretty in my machine with lights flashing ...

Thanxs

#1 Thing *** The tape drive MUST be powered on before the system is powered up!!! Otherwise the controller won't recognze it.

#2 Make sure that the tape drive does not conflict with another SCSI devices. Every SCSI device has a unique #; the scsi board number is usually set as 7 & 1st and 2nd hard disk drives are ususally 0 and 1 respectively. The last device on the SCSI chain MUST be terminated. If not, problems galore.
After XP starts up Look into control panel=>system=>Device Manager. This should show you an entry of SCSI and RAID controllers, click the + and the drop down box will show the SCSI controller recognized. If there is a red or yellow symbol next to the controller name then there is hardware problems, right click on device, select properties and a box will appear detailing the problem. Otherwise, look down the list for an entry of Tape Drives click the + and the drop down box will show the drive recognized by name and model #. I have a SONT SDT-5000 drive. SCSI support is built into the WINXP kernel but check with Adaptec or your scsi contoller mfg for driver updates, also check the Windows XP knowledge base for additional assistance

If you use an Adaptec chipset on mb or Adaptec card press Ctrl and A when prompted at boot process.

Regards
Montyw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back