Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sons computer wont post

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadooman

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
My son was playing his computer suddenly his monitor went blank,I tryed a known good monitor,a known good video card,its a soyo motherboard it has a power ind. lihgt thats on. it wont so any thing on the monitor no bios,the ind. light stays orange soing no signal,the power light and the harddrive light on the case stay on but you dont hear the harddrives doing anything,also plugged in a different hdd. poss.cpu or motherboard???? Please help my son has taken over my computer.

Usually a power problem, but can be CPU or M/B. You can lose the processor power but still have keepalive power.

Try smelling the power supply. A pungent odor is probable evidence of something blown.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I have a different power supply to use will try tommorow,cd rom drives will open and lights on them willcycle.

I have seen dust build up on the fins of a CPU cooler until the computer just gives up from heat. Usually if it is heat related there are some warning signs like computer resets or crashes before it gives up.

I have seen a power supply just give up and die like you flipped a switch and the light just blows out or just give up suddenly for no aparrent reason.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

If you try restarting it does it give any POST beep error codes? Does it seem to boot up normally such as hard drive activity?

If the lights on the case (HDD and power lights) light up, chances are your power supply is fine. Also if the processor fan spins this is a good indication.

It is most likely the processor or the motherboard (or even both). It is difficult to test these without spares...

Good luck.

Yea as azza03 Stated, its the processor or mother board. Try reseating the Processor. If that does not work, Try a spare Processor, 9 times of 10 the spar processor will work. If it does not, then it is the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back