Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sonicwall preventing passive ftp hanging on LIST --a

Status
Not open for further replies.

csgonan

MIS
May 2, 2007
US
I am trying to allow clients to ftp to a server through my firewall. I have tried a number of different ftp clients with the same results. The user logs in but the session stops on the LIST -a in PASV mode. In active mode it is fine. I've tried from inside my firewall and it is not a problem so it is the Sonicwall 2040, Firmware Enhansed OS 4.0.

Any suggestions?

Did you set up the ftp server behind the Sonicwall using the public server wizard. Using the wizard insures you have all the pieces required, and they are correct.

If you did not, suggest you delete what you did and use the wizard. Have numerous implementations of what you describe, and they all work without a problem.

If this is still an issue for you, make sure your FTP server is translating it's passive invites out with your external IP address, not the internal. Usually there is a setting in the FTP server for External or Public IP to put this in. If you have complete logging turned on look for the PASV commands in your server log and see if they contain your external IP.

Otherwise it may be a NAT issue.

If you can connect to the FTP server from a machine inside the network w/o issue, one of these two is probably the problem.

Good luck.

csgonan - did either of these suggestions resolve your problem? I am having the same exact problem (only with a Pro 1260). I tried running the wizard, but I still can't connect. I tried tinkering (adding differnet ports, and trying 24 instead of 21) with both the firewall and the server (using BPFTP). All no luck. If you got it working in passive mode, what did you do?

Anyone slove this? I am having the sam eproblem and have run out of places to look. I did use the wizard.

Hi,

I just asked the network engineer how this was fixed and he believes it had something to do with packet fragmentation. He had to allow fragmented packets. There was something else but you may want to start there.

We have support with Sonicwall and they were in our system fixing it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks CSGONAN, That did not help. I found a white paper from sonic wall on how to allow packet fragmentation so I am sure I applied the setting correctly. I may have to call them for support. It seems like it is a fairly common problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back