Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sometimes imported video clip turns black? why? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogol

Technical User
Dec 2, 2000
US
sometimes when I import a video clip into adobe premier it turns completly black part ways through playing it? the same clip plays fine when viewed outside of premier and viewed on my computer....dose anyone have a ideal why this is happening?

have you saved your project? I think this may have something to do with temp preview files. the first time you play a clip Premiere builds a preview file. sometimes this happens to me and if I select a different window the preview reappears

have you saved your project? I think this may have something to do with temp preview files. the first time you play a clip Premiere builds a preview file. sometimes this happens to me and if I select a different window the preview reappears

even if saved the clip still turns black...i wonder if the fact that it's a very busy clip,(both movement and visually busy background), might have some relavence? At any rate if someone know the reason?

Also I noticed that it happens more if I'm working with a clip captured in a higher resolution than the project is. It may have something to do with Premiere having
to size the preview to the project. You don't say if this affects your output otherwise.

still no luck...the clip is the same not a higher resolution than the other clips...the only thing that makes this clip different from the others is there is alot of movement and the background changes a good deal. when i export this part it still remains part black?

the content of the clip should have no effect, unless the file has become corrupted in which case it probably wouldn't play at all. Premiere can behave strangely sometimes but since this is happening consistently it sounds like a problem with the file or the way that Premiere sees the file. What about compression settings?

i've tried various compression settings but none seem to help. the original source is from a vhs tape and i've had had no problem with other clips from the same master video tape. Let me stress that this clip play fine on my computer before I import it into premier...but as soon as I import it part of it turns black!

Questions! What is the compression used? Which capture card?
Have you tried re-capturing? If so do blacks occur in the same spots?

;-)

I'm using pinnacle system brand capture card. compression is sony DV codec....30 fps

Your problem may be in the clip itself--If it is a clip from an .asf or the like you are running into copyright protection that come with alot of the newer VCR's. You can try to use a older VCR to capture from. Also make sure you have all the latest codecs and they are installed properly. I have run into this problem a couple of times, and the only way around it would be to use AVI2MPEG or QUICKTIME to save it as an .mov file. My ATI ALL-IN-WNDER sometime will give an entire black OutPut. I will keep on it and if I find a total solution I will post it here. gyoung1022@home.com

I solved the problem! size was the issue....when I imported the clip by cutting it into smaller section, I had no problem with black outs. thanks for all of your inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back