Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sometimes I can debug aspx - Sometimes I can't? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzeruk

Programmer
Aug 19, 2003
GB
Hi,

Does anyone know why sometimes when I place a red break point in an aspx file - it receives the usual question mark whilst the site is starting up - but does not lose the question mark when site running and consequently does not break?

It seems to happen after the aspx has been worked on for a bit...

Cheers in advance...

Gary.

If you look under properties for the project, then under configuration properties and then under debugging, the check box "Enable asp.net" debugging should be ticked.

What can happen is sometimes you are running two instances of asp.net, trying to debug two projects on the same web server. The asp.net process can only be attached to by one debugger, so the other project can't debug. A message box pops up not explaining that terribly well, and you don't read it very well either, and choose the default, which is to basically untick the box I just described.

Possibly a minor oversight in the mostly excellent VS.net.

Hope this solves your problem.

Mark [openup]

Oh I forgot to add another possibility. Sometimes the .pdb debugging file in the bin directory gets lost or corrupted or something. Delete it if it is there and rebuild the project.

I think it was link9 who came up with this solution previously.

Mark [openup]

Hi,

Thanks for above tips - sounds like both could be a possibility.

My only slight reservation is that I am reasonably sure that when this occurs I am only working on a single project and stop debugging between fixes - however I will check this out and post a thread to indicate solved or not.

Thanks.

This post is as close as I have found to my problem. Has anyone been hit with this. This is in a custom class, .cs file. I followed the mreynolds link below and have tried all of that. I have no name clash and IIS is set correctly. Only working with one solution. Funny it hits the apsx.cs bp but not the cs bp.
tyvm,
Marty

"The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document.

Hi all

I've experienced this problem several times and applied the fixes mentioned above but to no avail. The only "solution" I've been able to come up with is to use a System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Break() wherever I want a break to occur - but this is a bit of a mission as you need to restart every time you add a new break point :-(.

Hope this can help someone and that we manage to find a better solution!

Craftor
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back