Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sometimes DHCP, sometimes static 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic42

MIS
Mar 13, 2002
US
I'll quickly get to the point.
In my office I use my laptop with Static address. When I go into the city and pickup on the local Huddle House WIFI, I need to change to DHCP. Does anyone know of a script or program that will help me do this with only a click of the mouse? I do this daily and get tired of having to put the info back into the network properties when I get back to the office. No option of running DHCP at office, I need to put the static back in. Help!!!

Thanks Alan

First thought is you could do this one of two ways.

First way would be in your TCP/IP settings, set it to obtain IP under the general tab and then statically set your information under the alternate configuration tab.
Since you won't get an IP address from a DHCP server, it should use the alternate info you supply under the other tab.

Second way would be just to setup a different profile on the machine for "out of office use". This way you have TCP/IP set to static under one profile and obtain under the other profile.

Hope that helps.

You could write a couple of VBscripts to make the changes for you. Check out the VBScript Forum's FAQ page.

--
The stagehand's axiom: "Never lift what you can drag, never drag what you can roll, never roll what you can leave.

Thanks guys. I think I have it licked. I wrote a couple of batch files that seem to work ok.

Would you mind posting your batch files? That would be handy...

--
The stagehand's axiom: "Never lift what you can drag, never drag what you can roll, never roll what you can leave.

These worked on a Vista and an XP Pro laptop.

First batch file *****Static Batch*****
@ECHO OFF

ECHO STATIC
ECHO ____________________
ECHO
ECHO CURRENT CONFIGURATION:::
netsh interface ip show config
ECHO
ECHO CHANGING CONFIGURATION:::

netsh interface ip set address name="Wireless Network Connection" source=static addr=10.150.87.107 mask=255.255.224.0 gateway=10.150.87.1 1
netsh interface ip set dns name="Wireless Network Connection" source=static addr=10.120.132.51
netsh interface ip add dns name="Wireless Network Connection" addr=10.120.132.52 index=2

ECHO
ECHO NEW CONFIGURATION:::

PAUSE
CLR
EXIT

Second Batch File *****DHCP Batch*****
@ECHO OFF

ECHO DHCP
ECHO
ECHO CURRENT CONFIGURATION:::
ECHO
ECHO CHANGING CONFIGURATION:::

netsh interface ip set address name="Wireless Network Connection" dhcp
netsh interface ip set dns name="Wireless Network Connection" dhcp

ECHO
ECHO NEW CONFIGURATION:::

PAUSE
CLS
EXIT

Cool. Thanks, and have a star.

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back