Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Somethings bugging me (office assistant!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzer123

IS-IT--Management
Nov 24, 2003
GB
Does anyone know if theres a way I can disable that annoying office assistant on all of the machines on a network (possibly through a group policy).

I'm getting a bit fed up seeing it on everyones screen!

Hi dazzer123,

Interesting, I became fed up with the useless thing myself just the other day. I haven't found an option in group policy.

I have not done this yet because it just came to mind. What I'm going to try is re-creating my administrative distro point and removing the assistant, applying all the updates, and re-deoply office via my gpo software policy.

If you're using the same setup as I (deploying office through group policy) this may be an option for you too.

(just sharing my thoughts out loud)

You need to add the Admin Template for whatever version of office you are using. This will give you the option to disable that little rat. As with anything there is a catch - I don't remember where we got ours from. They might be sitting in the %system%\inf directory after you install office. They might also be w/ the Resource Kit you can download off of MS's site. Anyways - they have an .adm extension so you can search for them on your drive.

This must be easier than recreating an admin install point.

Hope this helps.

Q-

I'll have a look for that .adm file
Redeploying office as you said is a lot of hassle but if its the only way to do it i'll give it a try (i'm getting desperate?!!!)

Hi I wish I could get shot of this annoying thing as well, I run a network in a school and the kids spend more time fiddling with the different animated helps than actually working!!
I have added the office ADM for office 2002 (I know its old but we are a school)but this does not have a setting to get rid of the assistant, xp office 2003 does. So is there a way of making my own adm to include the option to kill the assistant?

The adm is in the Office ressource kit. It is a registry setting, so you can deploy it with a GPO or a reg tweak.
What version of office are you using, whats the clients and the servers running, and why is it giving you a problem ?

office 2002 on a wk3 server with XP pro stations, there does not seem to be an ADM for 2002 office to remove the Assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back