Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Something Very Weird???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvialn

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2000
US
Ok...here's the problem....we have 2 computers (computer #1 in the office and computer #2 at our's Coordinator's home). Computer #1 is a working IBM computer with Windows 95 and Microsoft Office 97 on it. Computer #2 is a working Gateway computer (purchased 2 days ago) with Windows XP and Microsoft Office 97 on it as well. Here's the problem: We have a floppy disk from Computer #1 with saved word documents on it (from our office). When she takes this disk home and tries to read it on her computer (#2), it says the floppy is not formatted. If she takes a floppy disk from Computer #2 with word docuemnts on it (from her home computer) and brings it into work, then we can see the files (under windows explorer), but we get an error message upon opening that states word cannot open the file from the specified drive (yet we can see the files there on the drive). WHAT IS GOING ON???? Please...anyone....???? "Try everything at least once."

Have you tried more than one disk? The disk maybe screwy. As far as I know Windows XP and windows 95 both use FAT12 for disks so the file should be readable from both computers.

The disks are brand new (purchased at Office Depot). What else could the problem be???It just doesn't make any sense at all??? "Try everything at least once."

maybe the disks, but i´ve seen that for example, i i´ve in the same computer winme and xp, and the diference is that xp reads tha disk more smooth and silence that winme that is the normas noise for the disk, maybe a diference in the way to read and this way the disk could be damaged that cause your problem

are you running inoculan/inoculate IT? this has some problems with NT/XP and the engine has to be updated.

Did you try another disk?

Did you try swapping files from computer #1 and another machine?

Look at the device manager on both machines and see if they are working properly with no conflicts.

Tell us how you get on

It sounds like you have a defective floppy drive in one of the machines. Can you email the file? It would eliminate the problem of floppies. They are notoriously unstable. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back