Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Something Printable

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilboi

Programmer
Dec 22, 2003
CA
Hey guys!

I need something printable. In my case, it's message history.
I got recipient(s) and their messages.

I can't use the Data Reports because, it only allows 1 query return. In my case, I have to do 2 query returns.

User table:
UserID Name
1 User, One
2 User, Two
3 User, Three

Message table:
MsgID Recipient Body
1 2 "Hello"
2 1,2 "Hi"
3 1,2,3 "Bye"

The way I get the recipients name is to take The field Message.Recipient and parse each UserID by doing a select Name query on User table. Then I combine that with the Message.Body after.

How am I gonna do those 2 query on a Data Report?

Or is there a 1 select query that I can do for SQL that'll do that for me in 1 shot?

Like, get the messages with Recipient # 1.

Thanks!

Or is there a 1 select query that I can do for SQL that'll do that for me in 1 shot?
If you had a normalized table structure it would be easy. Unfortunately you have multi-values in the RecipientID field, which makes it much more complicated.

It's been a long time since I've used Data Reports. Are you sure you can't put a subreport (with a different query) nested inside another report?

thanks Joe!

I'll try and look into subReport. I remember looking into it long ago but it was too complicated so I decided to stick with single report...

Hey again, i looked into subreports and it seems everyone's using it for crystal reports which i don't have.

Any other possible way of outputting my message history, maybe on a window that can be printable instead of going through vb's limited data reports?

I'm 95% sure that VB6 ships with a version of Crystal Reports. Not the latest version by any chance, but I'm sure it would be good enough for your purposes.

You will have to do a little digging how to use it, however, as it's rather well hidden in the documentation.

Or you could go about normalizing your table structure such that
[tt]
Users MessageRecipients Messages
UserID------------UserID |--------MessageID
UserName MessageID---------| Message
[/tt]
When the tables are normalized, you would be able to create a single SELECT statement for the datasource of your report.

Crystal Reports definitely ships with VB6. You have to install it specifically though, and it's version 4 something. I believe most current is 9 or 10, so it's old. But you can indeed use it.

Yeah, I used it in VB versions 4 and 5. Then in version 6 they really de-emphasized it (actually almost felt like they were hiding it from us).

But even in the old version 4 and 5, it did at least as much as Access reports can do today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back