Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Something Is Wrong With My Ftp Setup/domain Name, Need Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyaleks

Technical User
Nov 21, 2011
Hello all. I need som help here. this is a big case in my eyes.

Ok let`s go. The problem is: I have sign up for a domain name on Dyndns.org and want to use that on my ftp server at home. But for some reason, the people on the internet can not connect to my ftp, When they type in my domain name (ftp://winserver2008.homeftp.or) they get a white window in theyr internet explorer.

Dyndns : I have set up that correct on the dyndns domain site with my ruters ip adress.

The Ruter: I have the posibility to set up a dynamic host on it and I have also port forwarded the ip to my server. like ruter ip 111.111.111. -> server ip 192.168.0.100 ->21.

Network card: I also set up a static ip in my network card, in this case is 192.168.0.100, networkmask 255.255.255.0 Default gateway is 192.168.0.1 (I found that in my ruter) and the dns adress is 192.168.0.100. So in this setup It will work I think.

I have installed web server IIs manager and ftp 7.5. I have set up the ftp account after I found some setups on this on internet so everything should work but it don`t. I have created a new user in the user manager. but Im not sure if this is correct done, on this I also found a howto on the internet.

DNS: I have not installed the dns service on winserv2008.

If I do a nslookup on winserver2008.and get this:

C:\Users\Administrator.SERVER2008.003>nslookup winserver2008.homeftp.org
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: winserver2008.homeftp.org
Address: 46.46.227.160

if I do a ping:

C:\Users\Administrator.SERVER2008.003>ping 192.168.0.100

Pinging 192.168.0.100 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.100: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Administrator.SERVER2008.003>ping LocalHost

Pinging server2008 [::1] from ::1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from ::1: time<1ms

Ping statistics for ::1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

I have also set up in the firewall. Have also tried with the firewall disabled.

So can anyone help me ? I`m stuck! :(

NOTE: Now I did a test in my ports on this web site Shields up! and I found out that all of my ports are closed ! the port 80 is in a stealth mode. Now I don`t understand a thing. please help.

It looks to me as if you are working with way too many unknowns to do any satisfactory trouble shooting.

First, if you try to connect from your server to the services that you have set up, can you connect to the FTP server? If not, you need to fix your application configuration.

If that works, use another computer on your local network to connect to the 192.168.0.100 address and verify that the FTP server works locally. If not, you need to check the firewall on the server.

Once that works, you can begin to check your port forwarding configuration by connecting from outside of your network to the ftp server.

It is possible that you will need to have clients connect in PASV mode, since many firewalls will not allow you to connect back out to the client for the data session of their ftp session (ftp uses 2 TCP connections, one on port 21 for control signaling and one on 20 or an ephemeral port for data transport). It is common these days for ftp servers to use PASV mode to allow the ftp client to connect in to the server for both connections, which eliminates issues with the client's firewall from blocking the data connection. Allowing PASV ftp connections generally means that you will need to forward all ephemeral ports (or at least 1024 - 5000 with Windows) to your server in order to allow the PASV connections.

From all appearances, your DynDns setup is OK, so that is one thing down. Breaking it down into smaller pieces that can be tested one step at a time should get you where you need to be.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back