Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

something is blocking connection to WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

avputnam

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2003
US
We have a problem with 2 PC s on our LAN. Both PC cannot open Web Pages (IE, Opera, Netscape)even though they are showing that LAN connection is connected. Both PCs can see all other PCs on the network. Both PCs can ping to other PC on the network. Both PCs can nslookup any web address and it gets resolved. However, when I click on EI (or Netscape or Opera), page cannot be displayed.

The problem started 2 days ago after PC user used FileZilla (FTP freeware) to download the file.

It looks like something is blocking Internet connection while internat LAN connection works. In the TCP/IP properties, bytes received/send don't change and stay in 340-400 bytes range.

Thank you in advance

run anti virus and spyware removal.
sounds like spyware, a browser highjack in particular.
ADAWARE is pretty good free one. just google for it.
good luck. you might allso try AVG anti virus as it is allso a good free one.
good luck
AJ

ajrox. Thank you for advice. I ran SpyBot and it found some stuff, but has not fixed the problem. I will try AVG anti virus. I have not heard of this one before.

bcastner, the tool in the article you provided did the job. I was able to connect to the internet. However, the tool forced the dynamic IP address in the PCs' network properties. Every time I assign a static IP (the IP the PCs had before the problem), the Internet connection is lost. We have to have static IPs to communicate with the host.

Interesting fact, if I assign new IP (not inuse on the network) everything is fine. However, if I assign the PC's old IP, the internet connection is lost. Help!

Thank you so much for you tips guys,

Quote: "Interesting fact, if I assign new IP (not inuse on the network) everything is fine. However, if I assign the PC's old IP, the internet connection is lost. Help!"

When you use the old IP, Windows will give you a message that the address is already in use on another adapter in your system, do you want to change it? or something similar. You want to answer: No.

It never asks me to change the the address. Whenever I use the tool, it just runs through the steps and asks me if I want to reboot. After reboot, the static IP address gets dropped.

I noticed that when I assign static IP (IP that PC had before the problem), in the network connections it says "Local Area connection 3" Local Area connection and Local area connection 1 & 2 are not showing. It looks like the previous setting on local area connections are saved somewhere on Network adapter. I have tried unistalling the adapter, but it is still showing Local Area Connection 3

That is what it will do.
You can right-click and Rename the connection, but I would not bother.

You are absolutely correct that the WinsockFix program will set the TCP/IP properties to their defaults. The default is to use DHCP.

Ignore the Network Connection renaming scheme. It is harmless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back