Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Someones face on another body (color matching ?) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwunder

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
GB
Hi,
I have to do some pictures for my kids party and I want to put some faces on other bodies for a joke. Using CS2, I know how to clone the faces over, but what is the best way to color mach the skin colors ?

Cheers

This technique assumes that you’ve already adjusted the shadows/highlights in your image using either levels or curves. You’ll need two photos:

Photo1 – the photo with the skin tones you want to use
Photo2 – the photo with the skin tones that need to be corrected

1. Open Photo1 and use the Eyedropper tool to click on a skin area that is medium brightness (i.e., not a highlight and not a shadow). This will set the foreground color to the color of that skin area. Click on the foreground color and make a note of the RGB values which make up that color.

2. Open Photo2 and using the Color Sampler tool, click on an area of medium brightness (similar to the brightness of the area you clicked on in Photo1) on the skin that needs to be corrected. This will add a readout in the Info Palette for the Color Sampler point you just added.

3. Click on the little triangle in the upper right corner of the Info Palette to bring up the palette menu. Choose HSB Color. Make a note of the brightness setting (i.e., write it down if you won’t remember it). Then, click on the triangle to get the palette menu again and set it back to RGB Color.

4. Click on the foreground color (should still be the value set in step #1). You want to use that color, but not change the brightness of your image. So, you need to change the brightness setting of the foreground color to the same number you wrote down in step #3 (i.e., the brightness of the skin in the photo you need to correct). Now, write down the new RGB numbers (the ones after you change the brightness setting.)

5. Make a general selection of the skin you need to change in Photo2. (Don’t worry if it’s not perfect.)

6. Open a new Curves Adjustment Layer and add a point to each of the individual RGB curves (anywhere in the middle of the curve). Now, in each channel, make the point you added active by clicking on it. For the Input number, type in the number you see for that channel in the Info Palette (the number on the left). For the Output number, type in the number that you wrote down in Step #4. Do this for all three RGB channels and your skin tone in Photo2 should now look very close to Photo1.

7. If your selection wasn’t quite perfect, you can now clean it up using the Curves Adjustment Layer Mask.

Andrew

Nice explanation, Andrew. (sorry, don't have a thumbs up icon thingy, so get a star)

Cheers Andrew. CS2 is new to me and I'm still trying to go through your instructions at the moment. A little bit stuck from number 3 onwards

sorry, don't have a thumbs up icon thingy, so get a star

samjazz, I think you're looking for the [ignore][thumbsup2][/ignore] emoticon: [thumbsup2]

-kaht

Looking for a puppy? [small](Silky Terriers are hypoallergenic dogs that make great indoor pets due to their lack of shedding and small size)[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back