Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Someone with VTP experience help a newbie please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb111280

Technical User
Oct 24, 2001
GB
Im a trainee network systems engineer of three weeks, so understandibly i am a bit useless at all this. so any help is gratefull, as no ones around here for advice at the min.

The problem:
i have a 6509 switch linked up to 16 3550 48 port switches with gigabit fibre links. the 6509 is set up as a vtp server and the other switches as clients. There are two Vlans of interest. Vlan2 for access, and vlan11 for management. on switch 1 and 2 everything is fine, everything communicates and all vlans are accounted for in the vtp status etc. These two switches each have two actual ports as members of vlan 11, for cache engines and SMDS router links.

On the other 14 switches however, all ports are memebers of vlan2, and the vtp status shows no mention of vlan 11, and understandible i can not communicate to or from it. vtp domain name is set, client is specified and set up the same as switch 1 and two.

Its probably an obvious thing i missed, but im the newbie and hence why i'm asking you guys.

Thanks for any help

Sorry, to waste your time, i think i just solved it. i logged into the client,entered vtp database. changed to transparent mode and typed vlan 11. it then came up vlan 11 added, and its state changed to up. i changed it back to client and all's well. full communication possible.

Although this has worked. it doesnt seem like the correct procedure. any comments would be usefull.

thanks again

definetly something still fishy here!!!

if i perform a show vlan on switch 1 or 2, the results show the vlan descriptions as on the vtp server. ie, Managment vlan, and Access vlan.

but if i type the command on my now functioning switch, it refers to them as vlan0011 and vlan0002. with no description. its as if the vtp didnt perform any update, i just forced it to accept it. which i think is what ive done.

Help

Sometimes you need to make a change in the vlan database to pretty much give it a kick in the A$$ for it to work..

I'm sure everything is fine now..

BuckWeet

ive tried changing th e name of the vlan, in the vtp database on the server. it never propagates down to the clinets. something isn't right still

I'm assuming you've verified that all the edge switches are in the same VTP domain, and are in client mode. I'm also assuming that you are trunking on the gig links from the 6509 to the 3550's? Are the protocols for trunking the same? Dot1q vs. ISL? Have you tried putting all the edge switches into the same vlan just to verify connectivity?

Oh, one last thing...you don't have more than (7) 3550's daisy chained together do you? If so, this can be bad.

Are all the switches running the same VTP version. VTP version 1 or 2? Also which switch is set as the root bridge? Make sure your 6509 is set as the root.

Issue a show vtp status and check to make sure the configurations match. Make sure everything is running the same vtp version. Also check the configuration revision number on the client switches. If you have manually changed the vlan database the configuration reversion may be higher on the client then the server and the client won't take the update. If this is the case you can either make some changes on the server to bump the revision number, or there is a command to reset the revision number, but I can't remember what it is.

VTP Version : 2
Configuration Revision : 14
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
Number of existing VLANs : 19
VTP Operating Mode : Client
VTP Domain Name : domain.vlan
VTP Pruning Mode : Enabled
VTP V2 Mode : Enabled
VTP Traps Generation : Disabled
MD5 digest : xxxxx
Configuration last modified by 192.168.1.9 at 4-29-03 08:20:07

You can also try show vtp counters which will let you know if the switch is seeing updates from the server. Lastly if you still are having trouble you can issue some debug commands to see what is happening. Here is some more commands:

debug sw-vlan vtp events
debug sw-vlan vtp packets

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back