Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Someone used my paypal account 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellan4459

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2003
US
I woke up Saturday morning and noticed my laptop would not start any programs. I went into safe mode and ran virus scan and low and behold I had a trojan. I then restarted the system and ran it again and I had another trojan. Both are removed. I woke up this morning and found that I had a payment out for 700.00 to an asian name to which I've never done business with on my PayPal account. I'm not sure how they got my information so I'm trying to determine if there is a way for me to determine if something was installed with the trojans that is tracing my keystrokes, or some other method of getting my information. I do not store passwords. Can someone provide me with tips to make sure my system is clean. Or if there is some other method they may have hacked my information?

Thanks

No, but I don't think there ever really is one true best. It seems they all have strengths and weaknesses which just goes along with the current train of thought expressed over at AV-Comparatives. That is it's best to have more than one malware tool at your disposal, regardless.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

What Frootbat said. I am using NOD32 and Malwarebytes anti-malware and a couple of others and I haven't had any problems.

I have a key-phob (spelling? fob?) for my paypal account, it was only $5 directly from paypal and works with openID and something else that I can't remember at this moment, maybe it would be a good idea to look into that

While two-factor is better, I have my own concerns with the dongle. What happens if it shorts out? I remember years ago at a softball game, a guy had his electronic key in his pocket. After several hours of fun in the sun, the key shorted out. It was keyless entry, meaning there wasn't a mechanical key to open the door. At all. Just the electronic device. What happens if that device for PayPal shorts? Just random thoughts. :)

----------------------------
"Will work for bandwidth" - Thinkgeek T-shirt

Well I know when this came out at first there was an issue that ebay stopped working with it, but it is easy to disable the dongle, they just send you an email and have you go through some hoops and such, its not like they are going to disable your account because you lost/damaged the dongle.... 2 factor FTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back