Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Someone please explain me the flow of this code. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

janak vyas

Technical User
Jun 3, 2020
IN

Code:
CREATE CURSOR tmp (RD N(18))
INDEX ON RD TAG MAIN CANDIDATE
SET ORDER TO

RAND(-1)
LOCAL i, j
j = 29
ON ERROR ErrHand(@j)

FOR i = 1 TO 30 && Just do 100k for now
  INSERT INTO tmp (RD) VALUES (RAND()*j+1)
NEXT
ON ERROR

PROCEDURE ErrHand(j)
if j>=30

else
  j=j*1.05
endif  
RETRY
ENDPROC

what does this procedure does ? How is the loop working ? what role does CANDIDATE has? What does TAG does ?

Overall this is creating non repeating random numbers with a less elegant strategy of retrying at failures.

CANDIDATE is the index type and is unique, thus storing the same number twice triggers an error. And the error handler in the end does retry causing another RAND value to be generated.

I'd say it's flawed, as it adjusts j, a value used for the range of random values in a way that doesn't make sense to me. As it stops adjusting when j becomes just 1 than initial you could just start right away with 30. It seems to be for larger ranges. And even then, where you start with j gives a bias. If you'd start very low you'd prefer lower numbers before you get them all and then extend the range, that's not really effectively randomizing the results.

A better strategy is already given to you in your older thread184-1803937

You can pick N of M numbers simply by populating a list from 1-M and then draw 1 out of them and N times, while deleting it from the list. Simply like in the lottery. That does need exactly N random numbers to be generated.

The think with such random/retry on error strategy is, when you'd want to pick 999 of 1000 numbers, you'd get almost certain repeats and would generate perhaps 10s of thousands of random numbers to finally get them. Of course, in that case it's much simpler to determine 1 losing number instead, but this illustrated the case.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

Olaf has given you a good answer, but let me add my €0,02 worth.

You are creating a cursor with a single numeric field. You are then filling that field with 30 random numbers.

In theory, the first record will contain a random value between 0 and 2. That's because you are multiplying the result of RAND() by j+1, and j is initially 1. By the same logic, the second record will contain a random number between 0 and 3. And so on.

But because the field in the cursor is an integer, the value will be rounded to the nearest whole number.

The point of the candidate index is that it does not allow duplicate values. So, if you try to insert a value which already exists in an earlier record, you will trigger your error handler. The error handler slightly alters the value of j. It then retries the insertion that caused the error. Because j is different, you might get a different random number. But it will still be rounded to the nearest integer as before.

So that's what the code does. But I have to ask: if you don't know what the code does, clearly you didn't write it yourself. So why you interested in it? What do you expect it to achieve?

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Just to add ...

The code includes the comment:

[tt]&& Just do 100k for now[/tt]

This implies that the code originally did the loop 100,000 times. That would give you a much more interesting result. But I still don't understand what the point of it is.

Mike

For what it's worth, I've just run your code. The result is a cursor with 30 records. Each record contains a different integer, from 1 to 2 and then from 4 to 31 (so 3 is missing). That's pretty much what I expected. Is that what you wanted?

By the way, I noticed you also asked about the role of CANDIDATE and TAG. As I mentioned earlier, CANDIDATE ensures that the keys are unique. If you try to insert a record where the key field (RD in this case) contains a non-unique value, it triggers an error.

TAG is used to give the index a name - in this case, the name is Main. You would use that name if you subsequently wanted to refer to the index, for example in a SET ORDER command. The name is not being used here, but you still need to specify it in the INDEX command.

Hope this helps.

Mike

J initially is 29, isn't it?

Otherwise, if you want to pick 5 random numbers from 1 to 30, just change it to calculate numbers in hat range rand()*30+1 independent of j, no need to modify that during the creation of the numbers. and let the loop run from i=1 to 5 to create 5 numbers. It'sll repeat some iterations due to the errhand RETRY, not by setting back i or such.

This will be okay when you only pick a short sample of a bigger group.

Come to think of it an easy way to pick N out of M numbers is put them in a cursor and then index on RAND(), that'll sort records randomly and then jut pick the first N records and they are all different because each record has a different number to start with.

Bye, Olaf.

Thank you Olaf and Mike for your valuable insights !
It helps me to understand the concepts one step further. Thank you for being there.

if you don't know what the code does, clearly you didn't write it yourself. So why you interested in it? What do you expect it to achieve?

Well I have come a long way from my previous thread where i asked stating an example of allotting prizes randomly.
The main purpose was different, I just needed a right concept to work around from there and you all helped me in that!

Now I am just a little mark behind to complete that program, the thing that I am facing is that the numbers that are being generated are from 0 to 30. What I am not able to figure out is, I just want the number to be generate from 1 to 30.

How do I work around that ?
It would be a great help in completing a long program that me and my uncle have spent days and nights on.

from 1 to 2 and then from 4 to 31 (so 3 is missing). That's pretty much what I expected. Is that what you wanted?

Well, when I run I do not see the 3 missing.
Are you talking about the end result having 3 missing in it ?

CANDIDATE ensures that the keys are unique. If you try to insert a record where the key field (RD in this case) contains a non-unique value, it triggers an error.

Also can we use this CANDIDATE on several fields in a table ? What would be an example code like ?

Glad it was of some help, Janak.

But here is an easier way of doing it:

Code:
CREATE CURSOR temp (key I, randnum B) 
INDEX on randnum TAG MAIN
FOR lnI = 1 TO 30
  INSERT INTO temp (key, randnum) VALUES (RECNO(), RAND())
ENDFOR

This will give you a cursor containing 30 records. The first field will contain the numbers 1 to 30 in random order. The second field contains a random number in the range 0 to 1, but you can ignore that. It is only present for the purposes of sorting.

Mike

Well, when I run I do not see the 3 missing.

That's right. Remember, these are random numbers. They will be different every time. What I see in not necessarilly what you will see.

Also can we use this CANDIDATE on several fields in a table ? What would be an example code like ?

Yes we can. Just execute the required INDEX commands. For example:

Code:
INDEX ON AnotherField TAG Somethign CANDIDATE
... etc.

The effect will be to prevent duplicates in each of the fields specified. So, in this example, you will not be able to put duplicate values into either RD or AnotherField.

Just to be completely clear: With my alternative code, you don't need a CANDIDATE.

Mike

On your side question:

You can define multiple candidate indexes, yes.
You already have the sample code to do so, it's the command.

Code:
INDEX ON field TAG indexname CANDIDATE

In itself a CANDIADATE index will not prevent double data, it will error in the moment you try to store something already in the table as it finds it in the index.

Be aware you don't need to repeat this, you'll only trigger the security prompt asking whether you want to recreate the index. An index file in a VFP DBF is storing multiple index tags (that's where TAG comes from), so you don't have a bunch of IDX files, just one CDX, that's actually also available again for free and old tables, nothing new. And different from IDX, that only update with data changes when they are actively SET index, the main CDX having the same stem name ie month.dbf/month.cdx will automatically be in sync with any data changes, it belongs to the table just like the FPT file storing memo and some other variable length field types.

I often see code indexing everytime, that's a waste of time. The only reason to do so is with old style single index IDX files and when you store index tags into secondary CDX files. Usually unnecessary, as the capacity limit is usually hitting the FPT or DBF file earlier than the CDX and you can still only set one order at a time.

Just be aware each candidate index checks along rows only, specifically the indexed column in all rows, indexing multiple columns will not check whether they are unique along single rows, if you expect that.

You usually only need a unique primary key, candidate can be used for secondary keys. It also is available to free/legacy/fox26 DBFs which don't support a primary key, there is where the name comes from, as it's uniqueness makes indexed columns candidates for primary keys proving their uniqueness.

Mike has picked up the idey to simply generate 30 records in random order and then pick any count of numbers you need by starting from TOP. You could SCAN NEXT 5, or do a for loop from 1 to 5 and with SKIP 1 each time after picking the current row. And his example would also work, if you'd put in any other group of numbers, say only week days, no weekends.

Bye, Olaf.

Code:
CREATE  CURSOR tmp (RD N(18)) 

SET ORDER TO  
RAND(-1)
LOCAL i, j 

j=100

ON ERROR ErrORHand(@j)

FOR i = 1 TO 100  

INSERT INTO tmp (RD) VALUES (RAND()*j)   

NEXT

INDEX on rd TO asdf
brows

ON ERROR
PROCEDURE ERRORHAND(j)
IF  j>=101  

else

j=j*1  

endif
RETRY

ENDPROC

outcome.rand_ilvfuu.png

This is what runs, I just wanted that the outcome does not include 0 !
Is this possible with the code I have mentioned above ?

You've been given why you get 0 if you don't add 1, RAND() is a number from 0 to 1, <1, multiply that with J and you get the range ß to j, but guaranteed never j itself, as the factor always excludes 1, you can only get close to j, very close, but it's always j-delta, delta>0.

Also, notice storing a float number into an int field this is always cutting off digits, rounding down, never up. Therefore you then end up with 0 up to j-1, no matter how close the number will be to the next higher.

The formula for numbers 1...max is INT(RAND()*max+1) or INT(RAND()*max)+1. ie it doesn't matter if you add one before rounding down or first round down and then add 1, but add 1, if you don't want to start at 0.

And just by the way, as INDEX ON does not only create an index but also sets order to it, your browse will always sort the random, you don't set order you'll see how random the number are generated.
So simply write SET ORDER TO before BROWSE, setting no order means not specifying an index file or tag name in SET ODER TO.

And last not least, all the error handler needs to do is RETRY, nothing more, nothing less. no change in j.

Bye, Olaf.

It's okay,

In the cases you use, with i going up to the same number as j, the generation will take longer and longer, because that strategy only works well if the upper limit for i is much lower than j, the max random number value you want to generate.

When you have 99 of the range 1...100 randomly creating the missing number will eventually happen, but it might take long, longer than 100 retries. So it still is only a good idea of you say want to generate 5 numbers between 1..30 only, not all 30.

Bye, Olaf.

To anybody this interest, the retry strategy already takes a long time when you want to cover all 1000 numbers in the range 1-1000, so when you actually only randomized the order of all 1000 numbers.

A retry strategy really is bad when you go for computing the full range of numbers, as the last one will take the most retries, of course.

I wrote up some code to measure this:
Code:
Clear
Rand(-1)
Public gnRandCounter
gnRandCounter = 0

Local lnT0, lnReccount
lnReccount=0
t0 = Seconds()
Randomize("tmp",500,500)
lnReccount = lnReccount + Reccount("tmp")
Randomize("tmp",500,500)
Randomize("tmp",500,500)
Randomize("tmp",500,500)
Randomize("tmp",500,500)
? gnRandCounter," random numbers generated for "+Transform(lnReccount)+" records using your code."
? Seconds()-t0," seconds needed overall."

lnReccount=0
gnRandCounter = 0
t0 = Seconds()
Randomize2("tmp",500,500)
? gnRandCounter," random numbers generated for "+Transform(lnReccount)+" records using Mike's code."

lnReccount=0
gnRandCounter = 0
t0 = Seconds()
Randomize("tmp",5,30)
Randomize("tmp",5,30)
Randomize("tmp",5,30)
Randomize("tmp",5,30)
Randomize("tmp",5,30)
? gnRandCounter," random numbers generated for "+Transform(lnReccount)+" records using your code."

lnReccount=0
gnRandCounter = 0
t0 = Seconds()
Randomize2("tmp",5,30)
Randomize2("tmp",5,30)
Randomize2("tmp",5,30)
Randomize2("tmp",5,30)
Randomize2("tmp",5,30)
? gnRandCounter," random numbers generated for "+Transform(lnReccount)+" records using Mike's code."

Browse Nowait

Procedure myrand()
   gnRandCounter = gnRandCounter + 1
   Return Rand()

Procedure Randomize()
   Lparameters tcAlias, tnCount, tnMax
   tnMax = Evl(tnMax,30)

Local lcNormalErrHand, lnCount, lnRetries, lnT0

If tnCount>tnMax
      Error "tnCount can't be higher than tnMax"
   Endif

*      If tnCount>tnMax/2
   *         Error "Warning: Only use for tnCount much smaller than tnMax"
   *      Endif

Create Cursor (tcAlias) (irand I)
   Index On irand Tag crand Candidate
   Set Order To

lcNormalErrHand = On("Error")
   On Error Retry

For lnCount=1 To tnCount
      lnT0 = Seconds()
      lnRetries = gnRandCounter
      Insert Into (tcAlias) Values (myrand()*tnMax+1)
      lnDuration = Seconds()-lnT0
      lnRetries = gnRandCounter-lnRetries

If lnDuration>0.1 Or lnRetries>100
         ? "It took "+Transform(lnDuration)+" sec. and "+Transform(lnRetries)+" retries to get the "+Transform(lnCount)+"th number"
      Endif
   Next

If Empty(lcNormalErrHand)
      On Error
   Else
      On Error &lcNormalErrHand
   Endif
Endproc

Procedure Randomize2()
   Lparameters tcAlias, tnCount, tnMax
   tnMax = Evl(tnMax,30)

Create Cursor crsRandomizer (irand I, randorder B)
   Index On randorder Tag Main
   For lnI = 1 To tnMax
      Insert Into crsRandomizer (irand, randorder) Values (lnI, myrand())
   Endfor

Select Top tnCount irand From crsRandomizer Order By randorder Into Cursor (tcAlias)
   Use In crsRandomizer
Endproc

Better use Mike's code even though in a case of small count within large range it computes more records and random numbers, it'll run fast in all cases. Your retry based code only works better in case count<<max.

What astound me is that actually computing a large amount of random numbers doesn't take long, the usage of Mik'es code to compute 500/500 numbers 5 times shows this also creates 2500 random numbers every time, but in split seconds. The most time must be consumed in throwing an error and in the retry.

Bye, Olaf.

There is another reason to use my code: It doesn't interfer with your normal error handling.

In most serious applications, you would use ON ERROR to set up a global error-handler that stays in force throughout the session. If you also use ON ERROR locally, as in your original code, Janak, then you lose the benefit of the global handler.

Mike

I mended that in my version, the original really will bite you in the long run, as any further error causes a retry from then on. So it's extremely important to put it back to how it was.
Since TRY..CATCH handling exists, this could be handled with that and decrementing the loop counter to repeat the insert.

The only elegance in RETRY is actually just redoing the insert. But regarding my time measurements, preventing the error in the first place must save time, because if 2500 Rand() calls take split seconds it's not the major time spent in the usual 15000 retries needed to finish 500 of 500 numbers without repeats with his code instead of yours. What's also strikingly better is that it runs fast in all cases and is shorter, too. So overall trickery here with RETRY isn't worth it. You can do without that has I said here:
myself said:
I'd rather turn the for loop counter back 1 and repeat the loop once more, whenever field(X) already has its 'W' allotted, so check that before the REPLACE.

What's also nice with your code: When you keep the cursor you build up, creating a new set you just need to REINCEX and get a new order. It's just you need a random number for ever record to finally see which are the top N, every new order number has the chance to put a record in the top N.

The urn model would perform slightly better, as it just picks N and then reduces it with ADEL. But I haven't measured that...
Code:
Local array laRandnumbers[5]

Local lnCounter
clear
Randomize3(@laRandnumbers,5,30)
For lnCounter = 1 to 5
   ? laRandnumbers[lnCounter]
EndFor 

Procedure Randomize3()
   Lparameters taResult, tnCount, tnMax
   tnMax = Evl(tnMax,30)

Local lnCounter, lnElement

Local Array laUrnNumbers[tnMax]
   For lnCounter=1 to tnMax
      laUrnNumbers[lnCounter] = lnCounter
   EndFor    

Dimension taResult[tnCount]

For lnCounter = 1 To tnCount
      lnElement = Int(Rand()*tnMax)+1
      taResult[lnCounter] = laUrnNumbers[lnElement]
      Adel(laUrnNumbers, lnElement) && swaps last element with deleted, so array ends in all deleted .f.  elements.
      tnMax = tnMax - 1 && therefore next time pick from one fewer element, spare time to redimension.
   Endfor
Endproc

Bye, Olaf.

Thank you Olaf!
Your code could come out to be a major point in our program. We are consistently suffering in getting things done lately ( having little to no knowledge of the concept of vfp ) But are and have been determined since 1995 working our way out here in India with the help of foxpro by running our small humble business. Well any ways, the things is I am just lost I know it's all concepts that i am missing in my program, but I am just giving up. With no technical guidance and no thought given into the engineering of this program, I am going no way.

I apologies for being such a mess..

What I want was to look into my personalized error that I why I am running into, providing you with the necessary files. If it could me any help.
Looking forward for your generosity.

Thank you with all my heart!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=590b44bb-c2e8-4dc4-a1e9-e4f7ecb42304&file=PROGRAM_FOR_ATTENDANCE.zip
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back