Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Somebody PLEASE help me with COLDFUSION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

omesk

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
I am pretty good with computers in general but I am a newbie to the whole web design scene. Here is my situation.

I am working on designing a website that will provide information on different real estate properties. I have designed some basic websites in the past, but I realized that this would have to be different. So I started researching about how a site like this should be configured, and I found out that I will need to use a WEB APPLICATION and a DATABASE.

So here is where I start to get confused. First of all, I will be using Dreamweaver MX to for this. I understand the general concept of web apps but I really don't understand how to set it up on my computer. I understand that there are many different technologies out there now like ASP, JSP, coldfusion, etc. Now I know that the technology that I choose must be compatible with the hosting company that I use. I found out that my hosting company supports ASP, PHP, and coldfusion. So from here, I did some research and I discovered that coldfusion is better than the others in many aspects. So, I am thinking that I will use COLDFUSION AS MY WEBAPP.

Ok, so I have solved one thing, now on to a database. I am thinking that since I am familiar with MS Access, I can start of by using this as my database and move up to something else down the road, right?

So my first question is whether coldfusion is compatible with an MS Access database?

If it is compatible, how do I set up dreamweaver to where I can design this page? I thought I had to setup IIS on my computer so I did that. From here, I get really confused. I know I have to setup a 'TESTING SERVER' but I dont understand how to do this. Should the folder of the testing server be the same as my Local root folder?

I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Yes CF is compatible with access. I don't know dreamweaver hopefully someone else can answer that one.

To run CF you need a "server" to start. I run Personal Web Server (came with win 98). You also need CF Server software running on top of the server. This is what compiles or parses the code to be sent to the browser. Of course this is only if you want to test on your local machine. You can set up directly with your host and not worry about installing anything. The down side is you have to ftp pages with any slight change for testing. DeZiner
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic

Thanks DeZiner,

That cleared up one of my confusions. Now I understand that I need to setup a CF server over a web server. So how does my database fit into this? Is it just going to be another file in one of my web directories? So whenever I update my database, I should upload the file to my host and thats it?

Coldfusion comes with a web based administrator that allows you to administer many aspects of the app. one of these aspects is odbc datasources. these are used to create a connection between your database (Access, SQL Server, Oracle, excel...) and coldfusion. when you create a datasource this is then used in the coldfusion code to specify the database that you want to query

so if you were to set up a datasource to a database and call it dbConnection you coldfusion code would look like:

<CFQUERY DATASOURCE=&quot;dbConnection&quot; NAME=&quot;getSomething&quot;>
SELECT *
FROM something
</CFQUERY>

you use the above tag (CFQUERY) to make changes to the database via this odbc connection so you have to program all of the functionality into the system to allow for updating, inserting and deleting of information from the database.

hope this helps !

Friend,

MacroM.... provides excellent documentation for it's products along with a cool designer/developer center for each MX product and one for the whole bunch combined, i'll give you some links to good reading and example files to launch you into the dynamic application development.

this is exactly what it implies, resources to get you started with coldfusion, installation, administration and programming tutorials and a 900 page application development book in PDF format.

You also want to check here...

design and develop examples, tutorials, detailed study materials, almost too much if you take into account that each product has a center like this...

fabulous, instruction videos for good web design.

look around alittle on the MM site, you will find everything you need, make sure you try this one:
it will give you three (3) tutorials that build ontop of eachother and leaves you with a website and flash application that grabs data from coldfusion datasources !
pretty nice from MM and the best is that it's all for free.

oh, don't forget about this if you do the trio, this one will help with searching, logging in and new dynamic table functions...and a neat introduction to cfchart using Dreamweaver MX's new tag editor:
this should really be your first stop, once the test server is installed.

Enjoy, i think some are good fun to experience, it sure brought a &quot;wow is that all i need to do&quot; effect to me with some functions.

Dennis, thanks for the links. I'll be sure to check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back