Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some troubleshooting: Once conne

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexTovar

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2001
MX
Some troubleshooting:

Once connected to DSS LAN, I can see Dashboard, host table, etc, but when trying to start a capture, a get an "Unable to SetExpertOptions to Remote Expert (80070773)" error message, then another "Unable to create Empty Document" and "Memory can't be read", I read about some changes on registry, and UDP ports conflicts, what should I check ?

Thanks in advance !

Hi Alex,
The first thing to check is the softare versions of the console and the agent are the same, this is the main cause of the "Failed to connect to remote expert" and "Failed to create empty document" errors. It is also caused by installing a new version over the top of an older one, and also by firewall issues. Let me know if you need more details. The memory issue can be resolved by rebooting the agent, or adding the RMON.dll patch (for v4.10.48 only).
Alf

Thanks Alf !

We are going to try your suggestions, two more questions:

VLAN an Novell32 clients could be the problem ?
Where can I get that patch and how should I install it ?

Many thanks!!

[thumbsup]

Hiya, I can't comment on the VLAN option, but I don't think that be an influence in this case. I can supply you with the patch, but is probably best to get it from your reseller, Sniffer SE or Sniffer support. It basically requires renaming a file, and adding in another one (RMON.dll). I can also supply you with other possible causes of the problem. alf@axial.co.uk

Hi again.

I just check software version ( Agent and Console 4.10.48 ) agent with win NT, SP 6, IE 5.5, 244 RAM PII; Console win2000, SP2 IE 6 512 RAM, well, the problem is the same, instead of firewall and software versions, anything else we should check ?

Many many thanks !

Hey AlfSutherland

We are having the same issue with sniffers ruinning 4.30.525. I checked the agent and console versions. They match. I read in your last post that you might have other suggestions of what might be causing these errors. The agent is running on P4 2.0ghz with 1 gig of ram.

Cog

Hi Cog:

The last time I had that problem I tried to connect back to back to the appliance ( using a cross cable ), if it works, then you have a firewall issue ( or winXP firewall issue ), but it doesn't, then reinstall first agent, and then console.

It works for me...

Hope this help.

Alex

This relates to a wrong Dcom configureation.

Please check your configuration with dcomcnfg.
There are entries for the Agent (reportAgent CrequestdataA).
On the agent, Administrators, Anonymous, Interactive and System users must have Launch and Activation Permissions.
On the console please check that the default authentication is set to "None" and default Impersonation to "Impersonate".

Regards, netwho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back