Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some Questions on OSPF 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony414

MIS
Feb 3, 2003
US
Hello,
I am going to implement OSPF on our network. Not a big network, a total of only 5 1700 routers. Can anywone give me some common mistakes that people might make when implementing it? If there is evey any. Can someone give me a quick example? Lets just say I have 2 routers. Router A and Router B. One thing I'm not sure of is the area setting. Thanks in advance for the help.

Tony

I didn't try that. I took it out of the picture for now. It's in a live environment. I'm going back to what you said earlier about multicast. I found this on the sonicwall that I haven't messed with yet. See the screenshot...oops! I will send the screenshot tomm...

You could try that, but I think those settings apply when the device is running in layer three mode. It shouldn't even matter if the device is acting at layer two. It's worth a shot, though.

It concerns me that you're not able to ping the Townhall LAN interface, though. You don't need multicast for that, so something else must be going on.

Just to give you a little more info. Townhall ethernet (10.81.0.1) is plugged into the WAN port of the sonicwall. It's an RJ45 connector type. The LAN port is connected to my HP Procurve switch. From what sonicwall is saying, when in the bridge mode anything destined for 10.81.0.1 should pass through the sonicwall. But it's just not working that way.

It seems very strange to me that you're not able to ping the Townhall LAN interface when the Sonicwall is in place, yet you're able to ping through it to other devices. The interface is obviously up, but why won't it respond to pings? And why is multicast being dropped?

Have you checked the Sonicwall forums? I see that they have some, but I didn't check them out. I think you have to sign up for them.

Yes I am signed up on the forums. And just so you know I also have a support call in.

Cool. Let us know what you find out. I'll ponder and see if anything else comes to mind. It sure sounds like a problem with the Sonicwall unit, but it's hard to say.

I will. The thing is, I been working with them all week. We can't seem to pinpoint what it could be. That's why I came here to see if anyone could help. I bet ya it's just one click box somewhere on the sonicwal that will fix it. Just can't find it....

Just had something brought to my attention. I currently have my ospf like this:

Townhall
Network 10.81.0.1 0.0.0.0 area 0

Should it look like this?

Townhall
Network 10.81.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0

Yes---the second entry.

The first only advertises that IP address.

Burt

Actually, either way works. The OSPF network statement specifies which local interfaces participate in OSPF. I prefer using the 0.0.0.0 mask. It helps with troubleshooting because it is very specific. No guesswork is ever required.

Ok. I'm kinda hoping around here. I have something else I would like to toss out there. The highschool router is getting hung up routing to the highschool firewall 10.0.0.1 I would like to put a direct route in there that points to 10.0.0.1 This is what I currently have...

router ospf 1
log-adjacency-changes
network 10.0.0.20 0.0.0.0 area 0
network 172.16.51.2 0.0.0.0 area 0
default-information originate always
!
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1
ip http server

Is this wrong? I'm not 100% familiar with their network. I believe that my highschool router plugs into a switch. that switch uses fiber which is connected to another switch which the firewall is plugged into. If I run a traceroute from 10.81.X.X (my network) to 10.0.0.1 it just times out. Any ideas?

I made a mistake. When running a traceroute from 10.81 (townhall) it works fine. If I try and run a traceroute 10.111 (parkrec) it times out.....

Interesting. I thought you were in control of this entire network. So, there might be some stuff at play here that you're not in control of? Do you have a diagram of this network that you could post? I used to have one that I created based on your configs, but I'd rather not have to do that again. :)

Coorect! I'm not the super IT person here. Just the semi-super :) I only have control up to my router over at the highschool...

Looks like I jumped the gun. Seems to be working now. Yeah it's Monday!!

Just wanted to make sure. I do have that route set up correctly?

If I traceroute from the townhall router to 10.0.0.1 this is what I get. What is the !H telling me. Is it Host unreachable? Could that mean it's working but the firewall is just blocking the traceroute/

TownHall>traceroute 10.0.0.1

Type escape sequence to abort.
Tracing the route to 10.0.0.1

1 172.16.51.2 4 msec 4 msec 4 msec
2 10.0.0.1 !H !H !H

That doesn't mean that the router is blocking it. It means that the router has no route to the target system. From that router, type "show ip route 10.0.0.1" and see what it says. Do you have a route?

As far as that other static route, it is correct, I suppose, but it will only work for traffic that you don't already have routes for.

Looks like it...

HighSchool>show ip route 10.0.0.1
Routing entry for 10.0.0.0/24
Known via "connected", distance 0, metric 0 (connected, via interface)
Routing Descriptor Blocks:
* directly connected, via FastEthernet0
Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back