Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

some problems with connecting to dialup

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronjonmartin

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB
Hi, my friend is having some problems connecting to his dialup internet connection. Heres the prob:

When he tries to connect (double click IE and the username and password box comes up) the password showing which is far too long to be the one he originally keyed in. Also when he manually enters the password and tries to save it, it doesn’t save. When I finally online the connection is often quickly dropped again.

He also has a continuous request coming up in centre of the screen asking for the password.

In addition in the top left hand corner he keeps getting a box telling him he has just ignored an incoming call?

Both of the last two keep appearing throughout the time on-line which is as you can imagine damned annoying.

Any ideas guys?

"It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem."
Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990)

As far as the password appearing "too long," I seem to recall that Windows Dial-up Networking always shows about an eight character ******** password placeholder regardless of what the actual one is.

I know this will do nothing to help your problem, but there it is FWIW.

AceJupiter is correct... the password is always shown as a bunch of ********, so that you can't deduce how many characters the password actually is. You could have a one character password, and if it only showed up as *, you would know there are only about 50 characters it could be....

Meanwhile, it won't save the password until you've established a connection. This can be one of those annoying "features", if you're setting up a computer for someone else (corporate), and want to set their password. Once you've connected and authenticated, it should save the password.

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back